Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Line Size

Fuel Line Size

Could someone tell me what the proper fuel line size is for My detroits. 8v92's 650hp TAs. I am going to be re-desinging and replacing the fuel system very soon and Want to get your opinions.

Also, what type of fuel line do you recomend? Aeroquip or is there some type I can asemble myself at the boat. What I am most concerned about is being able to get hose sizes correct and if I were to have them made there would be more of a chance of error. Opions and advice are welcome.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

2. Re: Fuel Line Size

If you want to keep costs reasonable 5/8" A-1 fuel hose is perfectly acceptable. Its also a LOT cheaper than the Aeroquip stuff.

If you're doing Aeroquip I'd recommend the same size ID, and you're NOT going to like the price. The fittings and hose can be assembled by you on board.

I would use the Aeroquip stuff for high pressure oil lines and such (and do), but for fuel it's overkill. Another option for hardline parts of the fuel system (e.g. from tanks to the primary filters) is thick-wall copper - this is what Hatteras used originally on my boat and its still a very viable option. It definitely lasts longer than hose does!

Re: Fuel Line Size

Karl,
    Thanks for the info. I think I am going to use the A-1. I dont really like the copper. I know that what is in there lasted for 20 years, but I am of the opinion that I would prefer that it would not be affected by vibration.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    Visit My Website

I have 3/4" aeroquip supply and 1/2" return for my 550HP 6V92's. Mine were changed during a repower. I would've used the Parker lines instead but the yard was willing to match the price and use Aeroquip since that is what they stock. The Parker lines are a lot cheaper and are easier to clean up.

Jack Sardina

I looked at some of the parker lines today and they were $19 a foot, but said they were comparable to aeroquip. I Dont think that is what I want. Do yall have a part number for me?
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    Visit My Website

6. Re: Fuel Line Size

5/8" A-1 hose is a LOT cheaper than that.

5/8" thickwall mallable copper is probably the least expensive - and most durable. If you use ANY form of hose in a fully-flooded fuel system (return and supply lines) you should change those hoses out on 5-year intervals.

Go work up the numbers and then make sure you like the additional costs involved. There's an argument for using A-1 rated hose with barbed fittings, but its damn hard to make the argument for the Aeroquip product.

If you REALLY want it I can get it at a reasonable price as I have a distributor-level account with a major vendor and can save you a fair bit of cash over the "cash and carry" price at retail. Let me know exactly what you need (hose sizes, fittings, etc) and I'll price it for you.

IMHO you should stick with the Coast Guard approved blue hose. I tried to get this thru Parker here withouit success, Aeroquip was able to supply both hose and fittings. Karl...is that what you are referring to as "A-1"?

DC

8. Re: Fuel Line Size

No.

The "Blue Aeroquip" hose is FC-234 (most of the time anyway for marine use) and is stupid expensive. Good stuff, but its pressure-rated (not necessary for the feed and return sides of the fuel system) and very expensive in this application. It also has a steel braid reinforcement which is prone to deterioration over time.

"A1 hose" is just that - fabric-reinforced hose. The A-1 rating means it passes the USCG fire test. The Aeroquip hose also passes the fire test, but isn't what I was referring to.

Rigging with A-1 hose will cost you about 1/3rd what the Aeroquip product will for the equivalent installation. It is NOT pressure rated (for significant pressure anyway) but in this application there is no need for pressure ratings in the 250-2000psi range (depending on diameter)

Pat,
    Call Mid-Atlantic Engine Supply 1-800-257-8133 or http://www.maesco.com. They can supply any hose you want and can price each option out for you. They are great to deal with and their prices are some of the lowest you'll find. The Parker lines are a lot less than what you were quoted. Parker 5/8" is $2.96 pr ft and 1/2" is $2.14 pr ft, you will also need the reuseable brass fittings.

Jack Sardina
    Last edited by saltshaker; 10-12-2005 at 08:26 PM.

10. Re: Fuel Line Size

Jack,
    Thanks for the tip.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    Visit My Website