Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine paint

Engine paint

Anyone recommend a good brand engine paint for touching up engine parts?

Re: Engine paint

I like Rustoleum Professional. Sticks even if some oil film. Just a quick wash with Dawn dishwashing soap and paint....
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

I just did this and used a brush-on Rustoleum - my engines were not "white" but an "almond" color and I got about an exact match- was VERY happy. Did 2 coats and was pleased with the coverage. We'll see how it holds up.

BTW: The tip on another thread about using tin foil to cover things like hoses and other stuff you don't want to get paint on was very helpful. I did this in advance when I had planned to use a spray-can but it was still a neat tip.

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53 MY

Rustoleum here.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Ditto - Rustoleum for me too!
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Just finished a complete repaint on both of mine. Used Rustoleum as well. Did use Ospho on any rust after scraping and sanding. Primed with a high heat primer. About 70-80 hours of work with 40+ being spent taping and foiling everything. Since I was doing them completely, I sprayed and touched up hard to reach areas with a brush. The one thing I did not do that was very dumb was cover the ER floor. The good news is the over spray comes off with moderate effort...

I'm working on the ER walls now (about 30 hours into it and not half done!). A bigger pain than the engines!!! My forearm is getting huge from all the screws coming out and going back in... Spinach donations will be welcomed...

Pics to follow...

My engines were almond also. Good match. I was lucky in that I was replacing all of the hoses, belts, H/E cleaning, re-wraping wire harnesses, etc. so I painted when everything was apart which means no masking was required. Its been a few years and holding up very well. Just some discoloration at entrance to exhaust manifold which was expected.
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

My 8V92TAs and Twin Disk gearbox have failing paint in hard to reach areas. Seems the PO did a fair job over-spraying and touching up easy to see areas but not so much the pans and outboard sides/ undersides. Also, the underside of my STBD gearbox got sprayed by seawater when an HVAC pump failed and is worse for wear with some heavy corrosion.
    I'm planning to drain the coolant and pull the coolant hoses and prep for an in-place paint job within my pretty cramped 52CMY ER crammed with big motors.
    My current thought is to hire a good DD mechanic (I'm currently in Houston) to pull components (HXs, Turbos, other hoses as required then I'll strip, prep, and paint engine and components myself, perhaps with the assistance of a 100lb young flexible person with 5ft long arms. Then I'll assist the DD Mech in re-installation. Is this a reasonable plan or are there better ones?
    Any best practices/lessons learned from you experts. THX!
    Cheers,
    Eric
    BREAKAWAY 1990 Hatteras 52CMY

https://www.samsmarine.com/gallery/s...p?i=3959&c=503
    Mr Clarkson did it rite. Striped all the paint and started over. I always luv it when his pictures come up.

IMO, if all is running good, don't pull anything off or take anything apart but hoses.
    You don't want to insert a problem.
    Fresh hoses (water and fuel) will really set off a good paint job.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 10-01-2022 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    https://www.samsmarine.com/gallery/s...p?i=3959&c=503

Fresh hoses (water and fuel) will really set off a good paint job.
    I have seen alot of rebuilt engines that used rattle cans and got spray all over the hoses along with many that used the old hoses. It looks so much better to replace those hoses and start over fresh with everything.