Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Boat purchase butterflies...

Start with the easy stuff first - how's the fuel level? Got more than say a quarter tank in that motor's tank? If it is loosing prime the primary fuel filter (Racor) may not be filled (open to see) and the secondary filter on the engine will certainley be empty (tap on side to hear if filled). First - reprime both filters (if no fuel primers, top off with a pony jug). If that's the case, then 2 likely places to start to look. First, to trouble shoot, I'd change the fuel tank selection to the other tank. Just make sure each motor returns to the same tank that supplies it- that's a recipe for overfilling the return tank and emoptying the supply. If problem travels to the other motor, you have a supply line failure (pick up tube, manifold valve). I'd start at the fuel selection manifold itself. Those valves are known to go bad. Sam's has replacements, a supply valve may be the culprit. If problem doesn't travel, it's likely the fuel pump on the offending motor. These girls have keel tanks. If the fuel level is low on that tank a fuel pump may be weak, allowing fuel to back siphon to the lowest point - the tank. A new fuel pump may fix. If this is the case, then the lower the tank level, the quicker the loss of prime will occur. It might take a week to loose prime at full level versus a few hours at quarter full level. If replacing the manifold valve- just make sure you out the handle on correctly... Otherwise your selection of supply (or return) will be 180 degrees off and doing the opposite of your selection - filling or emptying unintentionally...

...welcome aboard...
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

...to start the starved motor - reprime filters then put throttle at 50%-75%, then hit the start button and hold for bursts of 10 -15 seconds until lit, for say 3-4 bursts or so, then layoff the starter to let her cool. Let her chug up and get good suction before reducing throttle. Holding that button that long won't hurt anything, but I wouldn't lay on it for 10 cycles or anything crazy. You can thank the 32vDC system for the ability to crank a few long cranks to get her running.
    1980 53MY

Thanks for the suggestions. Fuel tanks are 3/4 and 7/8 full. That was nice to see after I bought the boat. Like free money!. Racor on each side was 1/2 full, but one side started, so that confused me. Will have tools with us this weekend and my jug of Diesel. I will get it started this weekend, unless I need a DD part and can't get it due to the holiday weekend.

Sure is a lot more stuff on this boat than the 43DC.

I moved this thread to the Sandbar; seemed a better place for it. TJ, keep us posted. I am still trying to get down to HHN to see her. I could not make time for it last weekend but hope to soon.

Just FYI if you open the fuel filters and do not shut off the fuel supply ( I have valves on both sides of the racors) the fuel in the supply line will siphon back to the tank and the line will need to be reprimed. Also in the cold weather it's best to use the parallel start system to minimize strain on the batteries and starters.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I had a prime issue and it took me more then a month to locate the pin hole in the fuel line, after the racors and before the pump. After several weeks of trying things like including a rebuild of the Racors, I just started swapping out fuel lines. The leak was on the bottom side of the line and under a platform over the starboard stabalizer. The problem locating the leak was it was on the suction side of the pump and would suck air but did not put fuel into the bildge. The problem drove me nuts for more than a month, but once that line was changed, the starboard starts as well, if not better thatn the port.
    I've had my 53 for 1 year and have loved it from the very first night aboard, Fuel issues and all.
    Good luck with yours and enjoy the trip home.
    Jim
    1984 53' MY
    'Plan B'

"Well, it is too late now. It is ours. Survey went well. Mechanically good, no blisters, no moisture. All major systems work."

No blisters? Are you sure it's a Hatteras and not a SeaRay with a Hatteras badge?

FWIW, the forward air handler (bow compartment) has always been weak on our 1980 53 while the galley handler (both on the same compressor) can run you out of the boat on heat or cool. I have never figured out why the difference exists but it works well enough to get the job done (barely) in the bow so I haven't worried about it other than checking/cleaning the evaporator filter/coils (which made no difference)
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Refrigerant steal syndrome, maybe....

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    FWIW, the forward air handler (bow compartment) has always been weak on our 1980 53 while the galley handler (both on the same compressor) can run you out of the boat on heat or cool. I have never figured out why the difference exists but it works well enough to get the job done (barely) in the bow so I haven't worried about it other than checking/cleaning the evaporator filter/coils (which made no difference)
    That's a big area to cool (crews quarters, galley, engine passageway) and it's wide open to the main salon - with that little unit up in the bow. Especially tough to cool on Fridays and Sundays after a cruise! The digital the-stats seam to help a little.
    1980 53MY

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    "Well, it is too late now. It is ours. Survey went well. Mechanically good, no blisters, no moisture. All major systems work."

No blisters? Are you sure it's a Hatteras and not a SeaRay with a Hatteras badge?

Really. The first 43 we looked at about 15 years ago had lots of blisters. It was in Toledo. The 43 we bought had the bottom shaved off and Interprotect2000 multiple coat applied. Never saw a blister in 13 years. The 53 previous owner had a new paint job on the bottom last fall. Then in the water all winter. Had her pulled for survey this spring and bottom looked good. Didn't even have to power wash. And, no blisters. Perhaps they will show up this fall. I am not worried about blisters with that hull, though. I will be gone before any unattended blisters eat through to the inside.