Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Salon speakers

Salon speakers

I am redoing the stereo speakers in my Salon. Hatteras looks like they installed in 87 on my 45c two altec lansing speakers. I do not need the housing just the speakers. I looked on web for this manufacture but I am sure I can use any other quality manufacture. Does any one have a web site for the speakers only. Thanks again Gina Marie/Tom

Re: Salon speakers

I replaced all my speakers from ones I found at Walmart. They sound great!

I'm a big fan of Poly-Planar products for boat use. It's true that you probably don't really need waterproof speakers in the interior but when we bought the boat, the suspension on 4 of our 53MY's original 8 speakers was gone! It was almost as if some sort of creature ate just the foam surround and left the rest of the speaker alone. They still produced sound but only a shrill treble. I found some brand new old stock oems and relaced the bad ones but I plan to replace all the oem speakers and add a pair on the flybridge over the winter. They will all be PolyPlanars.

For this I would look in the Crutchfield catalog. Or on their web site which I think is www.crutchfield.com. Couple of reasons:
    Car stereo stuff is generally weather-resistant enough for indoor use in a boat. Not, however, on the bridge or cockpit deck.
    Their customer service is phenomenal. They know a great deal about what they are doing and will give you good advice. Their prices are fair and their return policy is good as well. I have been dealing with them for years and no disappointments ever. I have purchased at least six car stereos from them as well as speakers, amps etc. I highly recommend them.
    My interior speakers are a set of Vienna Acoustic bookshlef units that happened to be around doing nothing. They are good quality home hifi units.I drive them with a standard Alpine cqar stereo head, 12v. I have found that the interior of a boat soaks up watts more than a car's interior does, so you want a high-power head (more than one set of speakers is common also, adn requires more power). Interestingly, the Alpine drives the VA speakers fine, and the sound is far better than any other marine system I have heard. Lack of bass response is the problem with most installed systems. These do not require a subwoofer to sound good. You might consider a good set of bookshelf speakers if you have that option- if you already have enclosures you like or can't remove then just replace the drivers themselves.

I neglected to mention; I have owned several different brands of car stereos, and Alpine has been the most trouble-free of all. I have never had to send an Alpine back for any reason. I have buried several Blaupunkts and Sonys, even expensive ones. I no longer get anything other than Alpine, having learnt the hard way. Even in my Mini-Cooper, maybe the bumpiest car ever made, the Alpine is still working fine. This in spite of going over bumps that were so jarring the car's inertia switch cut off the fuel pump.

I second the Crutchfield suggestion by Jim.

I replaced the salon and master stateroom speakers in my 46C. They were flush mounted in small teak speaker boxes and with teak/cloth grilles, a nice and custom (probably factory) installation. I measured each speaker and made note of the resisitance (4 ohm, 8 ohm, etc). Crutchfield had quite an impressive list of makes and features to choose from.

I did it all from the internet... but I've heard thier customer service is top notch

Bernie Updike

When I first bought my 45C it had what I assume was an original salon "Receiver", an Audiovox. Have seen a couple of other Hatt's and it looks like they all have overhead speakers in the Salon (2) and the Master Stateroom (also 2). I replaced the "Receiver with a Pioneer and it's 4 speaker system. The Pioneer system has 4 speakers that are wall mounted and approx size is 4 inches wide by 6 inches high by 3 inches deep. THey also sound great after 7 years. Never had a problem with them loosening up and flopping around. In the Cockpit under the covering boards I use a pair of Bose 151's. These are Fantastic. If I crank it up, (from the Pioneer inside as the "B" speakers) you can hear them nicely 5 or 6 boats away. Up on the Bridge I use a pair of 4 inch round Poly-Planars when I'm running. Again, Fantastic. THey are mated to a Jensen Marinized car radio/cd player with an external power amp. Really great sound.

When the time comes to replace the Interior speakers I'm going to pick up a set of Bose Acoustimas 5's or 10's (really small cubes 2 X 2 X 2) have a set at home in the Bedroom and they are great!

Just my .02 cents

OldHatt45