Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Buell Horn question

Quote Originally Posted by Fanfare View Post
    My OEM dual-trumpet Buells ran off the stock DD air compressor mounted on the port 8V-71n engine. This output about 125 psi to the horns via an accumulator tank adopted straight from your local gas station's portable air tank. Which is just what Hatteras used--it still had the handle on top! When I re-engined to DD6V-92TAs the turbocharger now occupied the spot for the air compressor so, to keep the horns, I had to go to a 12v electric compressor and dual accumulator tanks because these were smaller. This was OK for my normal minimal use in Florida, until I decided to head to Nova Scotia one summer. The 12v system just couldn't supply the continuous fog signal of a five second blast every two minutes. This required installing a Sears 110v power tool air compressor which could replenish the air volume the horns require. I did replace my horn button with an automatic fog signal timer so I wouldn't need to do this hour after hour. This was a good idea since we were in continuous fog from Norfolk, VA on.
    I went much the same way Jim.

Removed my bendix pto compressor to have room for a hydraulic pump with the capacity to run stabs and a thruster should I ever decide to get one.

One twist was I went with a 110v hookah compressor with 2x 100 ft dive hoses (can't imagine using them with a few more inches of snow last night!) an just T'd off that compressor for the horn. Works great. I use the hailer fog settimg instead of the air horns though.

Bulls boxed and shipped... Will let you all know the quote this week.
    Shawn
    58 MY

I'm glad I ask. Looking forward to hearing the quote from buell.
    Jim
    1984 53' MY
    'Plan B'

I am still interested in hearing what "sandspur1966" gets back from Buell. However, I followed the advise here andf ask them about the powder coating process. Here is the feedback from Buell regarding prep for powder coating their Stombos model.

"If your horns are the Strombos model, please refer to the comments below.

When powdercoating the horns, there are several holes that will need to be plugged. The obvious ones are the air inlet port in the bottom of the horn, and the throat of the horn bell, which needs to be blocked in order to keep the internal diaphragm clean.

There are two other important holes, which are located in the backplate, and should be blocked. They are very small, but serve to let the air equalize inside the chamber. If these holes become clogged or filled in, then the horn will not sound properly.

Also, in the center of the backplate is an opening that allows adjustment of the set-screw on the diaphragm. Usually, this set-screw should not need adjusting, but it brings up the point that once the horns are powdercoated, you will not be able to change or clean the diaphragm. If the horns are sounding great and are extremely loud, then you may want to leave the diaphragms "as is" and proceed with the powdercoating. If, however, you think that the horns aren't quite as loud or sharp as when new, you may want to consider replacing the diaphragms."
    Jim
    1984 53' MY
    'Plan B'

Here is their response, they could not have been more professional and responsive. While I have to admit the quote was slightly north of where I expected, it saves me a "dinner out" right off the top from buying new and the complication and potential frustration of trying to save a few bucks and have a plater who may not get the nuance of doing an air horn with all the relief holes etc.

I'll post before and after pics when I get it back.

Hi Shawn,

Thank you for sending in the air horns. We received them yesterday and were able to take a look at them. We feel that the best action to take is to replace the horn bells with new ones, and to replate the sounding units and the bracket. The cost to do this is $350.00.

A new set is $482, but these would have new horn bells, and the other parts should look like new. This would also include replacing the diaphragms and gaskets, and tuning and testing the horns.

Thanks again, and please let us know if you have any questions or need additional information.

Best Regards,
    John Stephens
    Shawn
    58 MY

That is well north of what I expected as well, but it reclaims the original equipment. I've added the buell refurbishment to my project list and look forward to seeing the before and after.
    Jim
    1984 53' MY
    'Plan B'

Shawn,
    Have you received a completion date from Buel?
    Jim
    1984 53' MY
    'Plan B'

Just got the refurbished horn set back, they look perfectly new... well the bells ARE new, and all the castings are re-chromed.

photo.JPG
    Shawn
    58 MY

They look fantastic
    Jim
    1984 53' MY
    'Plan B'

Those look great. Now I think I need to have mine done. What was the total cost? $350 as quoted?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Hey Sky sorry was on the road.

Actually came in a few bucks less, turns out the prep wasn't as much work.

But with shipping was still less than the original quote and included new bells , re-chromed castings and all new parts inside the bases.

Now that it is done... totally worth it and Buell couldn't have been nicer and more professional, start to finish.
    Shawn
    58 MY