Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 42c Repower

42c Repower

Hello i have a 74 42c powered by 671ti at 450hp.. i am looking to repower to lighten up so i can stay around the same weight after adding another fuel tank to extend range. I have a set of 410hp cummins b series but not sure if that would be enough out of thoes little motors.. i currently cruise between 15-18 knots and would like to do the same or better. If the cummins doesnt have enough what would thanks

Re: 42c Repower

The Cummins 450C series is a good fit for that boat.

We repowered a 76 42C with cummins 450c series this summer and the outcome was everything the customer wanted. Call me for details.

407-739-5450
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

what about any other engine brands besides cummmins personally i prefer cat i know lots of people hate them in boats but i know cats better than any other engine

Cummins remans are a far better deal than Cat. Do you have the B series or C series Cummins? The C series are a nice choice, big enough, good working room, less fuel burn. And lighter, so she will plane out a little easier.

You could probably fit M11s in there, but it would be a waste of money and power. You don't need them.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkins View Post
    Hello i have a 74 42c powered by 671ti at 450hp.. i am looking to repower to lighten up so i can stay around the same weight after adding another fuel tank to extend range. I have a set of 410hp cummins b series but not sure if that would be enough out of thoes little motors.. i currently cruise between 15-18 knots and would like to do the same or better. If the cummins doesnt have enough what would thanks
    What are you trying to accomplish range wise? you may get the added range from the repower alone. You'll be dropping 3-4K lbs with the repower and the new engines will be much more efficient.
    Jack Sardina

yes i have a set of b series but i thought they were not big enough so i never did anything with them i to thought i would need at least the c series

i run the boat out of rhode island and i have a 110 mile hike to the canyons and when you add in a day or two of trolling i have to pack fuel on the deck.. i dont want to pack fuel on the deck its a pain

Sounds like a familiar story. I run a '79 43C with 435hp 6v92ta engines. Pretty much the same speed and destination (the edge) also out of RI (Westerly YC). Mine run well, so I'm not in a big hurry to change, but I've started to give it some thought. And yea, 495 gallons of diesel isn't enough. I'm also tired of carrying 200 gal in a bladder on the bow.

Whatever you decide to do, please keep us updated. I'm very interested to learn the results.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

25 Kts with the C series.

I think around a 22 cruise if I remember right. Im not sure of the burn. the 5.9 block is just not enough torque and HP Maybe a 6.7 but for sure the c series.

FWIW the cats are a bad choice for this size. No great deals unless its the dreaded 3126.

Yanmar has some nice engines but for the money the cummins remans are the best.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.