Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine mounts

Engine mounts

Met the mechanic today and the outboard front engine mount on the starboard engine is broken. The steel is fine, just the rubber bushing has crushed as I understand it. We need to raise it close to 1/2 inch. Any ideas? Just a rubber shim or replace the mount?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Re: Engine mounts

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    Met the mechanic today and the outboard front engine mount on the starboard engine is broken. The steel is fine, just the rubber bushing has crushed as I understand it. We need to raise it close to 1/2 inch. Any ideas? Just a rubber shim or replace the mount?
    The mounts are NLA! You need to remove the mount and pin it, then add or remove shims as needed. The N90 injector is correct for that engine.

When I attended the Hatteras school a few years ago, one of the mechanics that was installing some big mother engines in a big mother boat, told me that engines mounts were not used, the engines were solid mount to the stringers, I have always wonder about the non use of the rubber mount. If arubber mount is best it seems something could be adapted to work.

If I may trow out an idea.

cummins ships rubber mounts with its new engines. Depending on size and weight different engines use different mounts.

I'm sure weight, torque and hp are considerations for the choice of mounts. Also all 4 A
    are the same.

if you're able to spend the time and money you may be able to find suitable mounts and do all of them. You may need to modify the stringers or the towers though. Then reallign it.

Daves solution seems simpler though.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.