Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

6-71 service manual

Hi. Does anyone know where I can purchase a Covington 6-71 service/shop manual (relevant to 1986ish engines) ? After a 1/2 hour or so of "googling" the only one I found was $380!
    Capt. TJ Karbowski
    Rock & Roll Charters
    Clinton, CT
    www.rockandrollcharters.com

Re: 6-71 service manual

Detroit or covington should have it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I believe it consists of two manuals to cover everything

I purchased the CD version for under $50.00.
    Just print out the pages you need at the time that you need them. That way when you get dirty finger prints all over them you just throw them out and reprint if needed.
    Jerry

I guess others have had much better luck with printing out using shop manual stuff than I have. I have never personally found the cd/print thing very useful as a general thing for something like engine work because when you get involved in the work, it frequently seems like you need to refer to some other portion of the manual that you didn't print. At that point you are covered in grease/oil/whatever and using a computer or pad is not really workable. To me the book is much easier to deal with in the heat of battle.

And heck, they are SUPPOSED to be dog-eared and greasy! If some mechanic showed up with a perfectly clean copy of a service manual I'd wonder if he had ever worked on anything!

OTOH, I do use printed out stuff for mechanical work on less complex items where everything related is in a few pages or if i'm working on is a fairly "clean" operation and using the computer/pad doesn't require a total clean-up first.

IMO, yes, the price of the shop manual is off-putting initially but it quickly disappears into the background noise of boat expenses.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Does anyone know where the CD version of the manual can be purchased?

thanks

Pete

I've seen them on Ebay; do a search there for something like "Detroit Diesel V71 service manual." You can also get the manual directly via download from a variety of sources and not have to deal with a CD at all.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I purchased a 671 manual on line last summer. The cost was $10 plus 3.95 shipping. I think you want the 671 manual not the v671. I think Covington marinized only the inline six during that time period.

Right - I wasn't paying attention - if it's not a V motor, you don't want a V shop manual!
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"