Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Trojan Batteries

It's time to replace the house bank (330AH Deka 8C6V Group 302 sweeper batteries). This is the highest capacity battery Deka offers in this configuration. I see that Trojan offers a similar Group 902 battery, but also offers a 435AH Group 903 sweeper battery (a few inches taller than the 902). I'd like to increase the capacity of the house bank while I'm replacing the batteries.

Does anyone have experience to offer an opinion regarding the relative quality of Deka versus Trojan flooded cell batteries?

Re: Trojan Batteries

Trojan batteries are very very good. I have owned a couple of sets of them, no complaints ever. If they made 4D AGMS, I'd own them. I recommend them highly.

FWIW, The house bank on my 48MY consisted of 6 Workaholics. Lasted six years inspite of a couple of deep discharges.

Bobk

I have had 4 of the Trojan 6 volt L16 435AH (I'm sure this is the battery you are talking about) as my inverter bank for the last year and a half or so. They take a little while to "break in", just as their user manual cautions. Another battery to consider in that form factor is the highest capacity US Battery L16, which I had before and hammered the daylights out of for over four years, living almost full time on moorings or at anchor, two 50% draw downs a day. The only reason I went with the Trojans was local dealer availability here in eastern NC, where we settled in after our full time cruising days were over. Strongly suggest some sort of state of charge battery monitor. Anyway so far so good.We still anchor out about 50 nights a year, and in my case the bank is not charged by an alternator while under way.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014