Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what is this?

what is this?

I replaced the one on the other engine a few years back. Now this one needs replacing but... I can't remember what it's for or where I got it.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dcate; 12-10-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Re: what is this?

Looks like a pressure sender or switch.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Looks like the fuel pressure switch, comes off the top of the secondary fuel filter. You have a 56 MY right? So that second picture is taken looking down at the front inboard side of the port engine, correct?
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

If you don't know what it is or what it's for how do you know it needs replacing? Agree with above, looks like a pressure switch or sender.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    Looks like the fuel pressure switch, comes off the top of the secondary fuel filter. You have a 56 MY right? So that second picture is taken looking down at the front inboard side of the port engine, correct?
    Exactly. And...there's also a fuel line with shutoffs at each filter running under the floor going from one fuel filter to the fuel filter on the other engine.

Someone told me they thought the line usual. Said it might have something to do with pressuring a fuel system that's lost it's prime from one engine to the other.

Ever hear of anything like that?

Quote Originally Posted by dcate View Post
    Exactly. And...there's also a fuel line with shutoffs at each filter running under the floor going from one fuel filter to the fuel filter on the other engine.

Someone told me they thought the line usual. Said it might have something to do with pressuring a fuel system that's lost it's prime from one engine to the other.

Ever hear of anything like that?
    I've heard of others doing this to fill and prime one engine from the other, particularly after filter changes. It should be coming off the fuel returns of each engine.
    Jack Sardina

It does look like the pressure switch that is activated by the fuel Pressure. It most likely turns your hour meter on when that engine is running. Occationally that type pressure switch can also activate the alternator circuit. Before you change it locate the fuse and check it. The fuse is most likely in the panel just below your main battery switches. Or you can just check if there is power to either terminal with the ingnition switch on, but the engine not running. If niether side shows power then it is time to track down the fuse.
    Jim
    1984 53' MY
    'Plan B'

Here it is at Sam's:

Part Number: 27422
    Part Description: Switch, Engine Oil 4psi N/O
    Unit of Measure: EA
    Jim
    1984 53' MY
    'Plan B'

On my 58YF it shuts down the sentry battery charger.I hope it helped you.

Quote Originally Posted by piripucha View Post
    On my 58YF it shuts down the sentry battery charger.I hope it helped you.
    wouldn't the 13+vdc coming on line from the alternators do the same? not sure how this set up could work. It wouldn't shut down 120v and it wouldn't be shutting down 12v either. connecting a n/o or n/c fuel pressure switch to a batt charger doesn't make sense to me. on my boat these fuel switches are n/o and provide 12v+ for hour meters and to excite the alternator circuits.