Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Mildew prevention advice needed from the experts

Our boat is winterized in the water annually for approximately 6 months - generally from Nov through April. I do not keep anything electrical operating during that period other than the battery charging system. All ports/vents are closed, eng room vents covered and the clamshells that provide passage for the various blowers and the dryer are plugged.

I put 4-5 de-humidifying canisters in various parts of the boat. I can't recall the brand but they are just the ones you can buy in any hardware store that have a bag of absorbent material inside a plastic container of maybe (I'm guessing) 1 quart size. I have never had any mold/mildew on the boat. I'm ASSUMING that's due to the de humidifier packs since I don't take any other anti-mildew action. I have done that since we purchased the boat in '04. So even if somehow the absence of mildew is due to luck and NOT related to those desiccant packs, I'm not messing with the process!
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Multiple fans and a marine dehumidifier if you can find one. Check on ebay for an old Air Products stainless steel unit that drains into a sink. Damp Rid closet hangers also work well.

I had this problem for years in Southeast Texas. Everytime a cold front would pass through it would almost rain in side the boat the next day. Cold air outside and plenty of moisture left over inside.

We had a similar problem and, as noted elsewhere, especially around the overhead hatches and vinyl. After trying the small WM dehumidifying fans (which helped a little) we bought a portable, stand up, 110v dehumidifier that can either collect in its own bucket (aprox 2.5gal) or you can, like we did, temp plumb it to an overboard drain. We leave it run in the MSR which always seems to be the coldest, lowest place on the boat, set it to 55% humidity and let it run. Been doing this for 4 years now and its not only kept the boat mold free, but gets rid of that awful damp winter smell when the boboat is closed up for a week or two. http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-30-Pin...3#.UqJBrvRDuSo

I bought this dehumidifier for the house I live in and it has a built in pump I leave it on year round. It has some kind of defrost cycle I rekn' and never freezes up. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16896101164
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Hi All,

I've been lucky, I've never had a mildew/mould problem on the boat.....yet, (knock on wood).

I use rid-damp or damp-rid canisters (amazing I can't remember the name because I've refilled so many in 7 years). I place them in inconspicuous areas around the boat. I also leave a high quality fan running on the boat when I'm not there.

If I'm away for an extended period, I'll also leave a kitchen cabinet door slightly open, as well as closet doors and a drawer in the staterooms. The head doors are always ajar a tad.

You can buy them on amazon, home depot etc. Shop around because I've seen costs differ as much as 70% between retailers.

http://www.homedepot.com/c/BP_DampRid
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Has anyone tried the Eva-Dry dehumidifiers which do not use compressors?

Regards
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

I use damp check canisters, and try to leave doors open and prop up cushions when not on the boat

They also have "mildew gas" that you can hang to fight the mold, but that is for a closed up boat more than one regularly visited.
    Bill

8. Re: Mildew prevention advice needed from the experts

I rather suspect that some years are a beast for mildew and others not-so-much. I'm a full-time soloist aboard and this year more than any other I've been constantly wiping the bulkheads. The boat is well-ventilated and my next step is to purchase some:

AquaChem Spa Shock treatment (29% lithium hypochlorite)
    My notes say use one teaspoon in a gallon of water, wipe bulkheads and be done with it. The resideue (no need to rinse) helps prevent growth.

Anyway, when I go to shore next, I'm going to see if I can find it and give it a shot. It's strong stuff, so of course the "well ventilated area" stuff applies.. Good luck, and yes, I'll let you know if it works here in Florida.
    Janice aboard Seaweed, living the good life afloat
    http://janice142.com