Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Re: Repower hat53 motoryacht with small engines

Huh? Is the WOT on the 12v71 lower than on the 8v92? How exactly is it not working harder? Again the question is, if it is all about horsepower, why did Hatteras put the 12v71 on the slightly bigger boats rated at the same horsepower as the 8v92? There had to be a specific reason. I am not being a wise guy here, I really do want to understand.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Could it be that the 92 series was not released until the 70's and may not have been considered "ready for marine" use in the beginning.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    Huh? Is the WOT on the 12v71 lower than on the 8v92? How exactly is it not working harder? Again the question is, if it is all about horsepower, why did Hatteras put the 12v71 on the slightly bigger boats rated at the same horsepower as the 8v92? There had to be a specific reason. I am not being a wise guy here, I really do want to understand.
    Torque x Rpm / 5252 = Hp

Boats have a single speed reduction gear.

Planing boats require a lot of power to get over the hump and on plane.

A larger displacement engine will usually develop more torque and Hp at lower rpm.

It seems to me that a good way to look at this is Hp at Rpm.

You need a certain hp to push a boat a certain speed. Can your engine deliver that hp at an available rpm?

Engineering from an English major.

Regards
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Could it be that the 92 series was not released until the 70's and may not have been considered "ready for marine" use in the beginning.
    Especially since the 8V92 wasn't available in 650 trim until the 80's. I think the 58 MY series 1 was the first to offer the 92's during the 1977 model run. And they weren't the 650's. They also grenaded often.

I saw a 53 Hat once many years ago for sale at the Ocean reef club owned by an elderly couple who had exchanged their DD engines with later and new Yanmars They had to add lead ballast! Larry Valentine