Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Intermittent Starting Problem

I had the same thing happen, It was a grounding issue. as posted, no ground no power.... I had to take them off and clean them up . I was told it was the starter by an expert.....turned out the starter fixed itself when I cleaned up the grounds..... Amazing how that happed.....I guess I just have a magical boat....Watch out for the experts......Good luck

I've had similar problems over the years.

The first thing I`d try would be to tap the starter with a hammer. If it start's it's the starter.

Other times the solution was discovered using the above techniques.

Will

I had very similar problem a few years back with 300 h.p. cummins. The main battery disconnect switch had failed. There is a spring in the quest switches that puts tension on the contacts. The plastic behind the knob fails thus relieving a lot of the tension from the compressed spring. Have someone attempt to start the engine with someone pushing hard on the knob that turns the power on and off. If engine starts replace the switch, if not carry on with other suggestions. It could be a weak connection anywhere between the battery and the starter. The switch will pass voltage if it is bad, but not always enough amperage to turn over the engine. Good Luck, Steve

What they said. I'd clean and tighten all the wiring connections and cables first, and then look at the solenoid and the battery switches. And the NSS, too.

Checking, cleaning and replacing connectors, especially crimp on connectors as suggested several times will most likely solve your problem. Take note that when one of these connections fail, you can be pretty sure others will soon follow. Being that the solenoid activates your problem is most likely one of the large wires or connectors causing the problem.

The problem is called a high resisance connection, it will often lead one astray in the troubleshooting process because it will show voltage is good with no load on the circuit, when the load is applied the voltage will drop due to the high resistance connection. Have someone try starting the engine while you are reading the voltage, start at the starter and work back toward the source. Don't overlook the possibility that the start solenoid is bad. The starter is easily checked by shorting the heavy contacts together, this will make the started energize, if you don't know how to do this get someone who does to help you. Good luck
    Last edited by Boatnut; 12-03-2013 at 03:26 PM.

This article appears quite often, might help you find the issue if it's in the wiring.

http://www.engine-light-help.com/voltage-drop.html

Thanks for all the good advice.

I have checked everything that I can reach so I am going to hire a boat electrician.

It is going to take a smaller and more flexible person than me to go outboard of the engine to get to the relay, starter and solinoids.

The boat electrician came and found good voltage to the starter. Lots of clicking and clunking but no cranking. He does not do mechanical work but said that the starter must come out.

The bad news is that it is in a place with very tight access...outboard of the engine at the back. The electrician could get his tester on the starter but said that even a mechanic will have a hard time getting it out without pulling the entire galley to get access to a hatch over the engine.

I have called my regular mechanic.