Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this an engine deriven water pump?

Is this a water pump? It's leaking water out of the hole on the back of the pump...(just like on a car)....

questions are...

1) Is this the engine-driven water pump?
    2) Can it be rebuilt without taking it off of the engine?
    3) Can anyone rebuild it? Or...does it have to be sent off to a special "marine water pump" rebuilder?

Also...if it has to come off....is there anything one needs to know other than...

1) remove pump
    2) have it rebuilt
    3) re-install pump
    4) re-fill fluid and go
    (Just like on a car)

(I just hate to go tearing into something without first knowing, that I know, what it is I'm working on. lol that's all)

thank you
    David
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dcate; 11-22-2013 at 06:02 PM.

Re: Is this an engine deriven water pump?

Dave, my manual for the 12v71 says the seal is replaceable.. are u at the game?

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    Dave, my manual for the 12v71 says the seal is replaceable.. are u at the game?
    IDidn't go to the game. I'm anchored at the headwaters of Tellico for a couple of nights. It's been a slow drip for a while but now the drips are becoming more frequent. So my thinking it it's time to fix it now.

When you say "the seal is replacable" are you saying to take pump off, replace seal, and re-install pump? Tell me you're not saying I need to read the manual. That's harder than just doin' it.

There's a big "C ring" on the back of it. I'd like to take that off and fix it with/out removing the pump if possible.
    Last edited by dcate; 11-22-2013 at 06:16 PM.

DD told me that on the 6-71, it was less expensive to just purchase a rebuilt one from DD and hand in the old one for core credit, says it's not a job to be undertaken lightly
    ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    DD told me that on the 6-71, it was less expensive to just purchase a rebuilt one from DD and hand in the old one for core credit, says it's not a job to be undertaken lightly
    ymmv
    8-92's

This sounds reasonable.

Looks like your FW pump and sounds like its time to rebuild or replace it. I had one rebuilt on an 8V71 many years ago and it wasn't bad. I do think there is a bit to rebuilding them and even reinstalling them. If I remember correctly you can do damage to the gears on the pump and the engine if not installed properly. I think there is a gear lash adjustment but not sure. Hopefully one of the Detroit mechanics here will chime in.
    Jack Sardina

David, I don't think the boats going to sink, but you can always close the through hull valve when not running. Im sure you will have to remove the pump, stop by when you get back and review the manual. Replacing seals and bearings usually involves some seat ddressing and arbor pressing. Best to buy a rebuilt unit unless you can do some simple machine work and have tool access.

Dave, Diesel Pro has a rebuilt pump for 496, rebuild kit is 196 for 671N

I think that one is fresh water circulating not sea water intake.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    Dave, Diesel Pro has a rebuilt pump for 496, rebuild kit is 196 for 671N
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    I think that one is fresh water circulating not sea water intake.
    I'm just gonna pull it off and send it in for a rebuilt one. Saltshaker's "gear lash adjustment" thought will need some research.