Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: New Hatteras GT 70 Announced

Anyone want to comment on the servicing costs on the MTUs versus Cats? I would think the MTUs would be much more expensive to have worked on, but I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Anyone want to comment on the servicing costs on the MTUs versus Cats? I would think the MTUs would be much more expensive to have worked on, but I don't know.
    theyre about the same. Both will cost a small fortune to overhaul. The Cats are pretty pumped up and there were some issues with the earlier 1800hp versions. The 1900hp ones are supposed to be pretty good but the cylinder walls are pretty thin and failures are often catastrophic. The MTUs are very robust and have been extremely reliable. The 1800HP engines run easily to 10k hours before a major and rarely need the bottom end touched. The 2435hp engines have been great so far but only available for the last 6 or 7 years. The 2600hp engines are only a couple of years old so time will tell but they are the hot ticket for big sportfish. I would expect overhaul cost for either of these engines to run around 300K for the pair. I don't know how much either of these cost but a friend of mine bought a pair of 1450hp Cat C32s bobtailed for 450K. Since HP cost I'd expect these engines to be at least 50% more.
    Jack Sardina

$300 k for a rebuild is scary. About 50% of new iron by my quick calculations. I guess you have to pay to play but that's a bit much. I guess going 40 kts is not for the faint of wallet.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    $300 k for a rebuild is scary. About 50% of new iron by my quick calculations. I guess you have to pay to play but that's a bit much. I guess going 40 kts is not for the faint of wallet.
    Which is why I often wonder how I'll ever be able to buy a newer boat someday. Big modern diesels are great until it's time to fix them. 200k-250k is pretty common for many of the mid to late 90s Cat and MAN 12 cylinder rebuilds. Often they are even higher. Add to the fact that they are tight in many ERs and you can see why these are not cheap to rebuild. Those 16V2000 are twice the displacement of my 12V92s and are an option in the later models of my boat. I have a big ER but those engines fill it up pretty well.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Which is why I often wonder how I'll ever be able to buy a newer boat someday. Big modern diesels are great until it's time to fix them. 200k-250k is pretty common for many of the mid to late 90s Cat and MAN 12 cylinder rebuilds. Often they are even higher. Add to the fact that they are tight in many ERs and you can see why these are not cheap to rebuild. Those 16V2000 are twice the displacement of my 12V92s and are an option in the later models of my boat. I have a big ER but those engines fill it up pretty well.
    I'd imagine it will be captured, to a degree, in the purchase price of the newer boats on the used market. Makes you wonder what the resale value will be on many of these boats. Easy to see how two similarly conditioned 70's would have a $250k price delta depending on engine hours. Like our old ones do with the lesser differential of the 50-100k rebuild numbers.
    Shawn
    58 MY

Quote Originally Posted by sandspur1966 View Post
    I'd imagine it will be captured, to a degree, in the purchase price of the newer boats on the used market. Makes you wonder what the resale value will be on many of these boats. Easy to see how two similarly conditioned 70's would have a $250k price delta depending on engine hours. Like our old ones do with the lesser differential of the 50-100k rebuild numbers.
    You see it now with some of the newer boats. I've been eyeing the 60C series II with 3412 Cats. The real nice ones are in the 700K ask. Almost all the ones in the low 600 or high 500 ask have higher hours
    Jack Sardina

The 16V2000 diesel is 2200 cubic inches? Seriously?

I don't know what the service life of these big engines is supposed to be, but having to do major work at that price would reduce a boat's value considerably.

What would constitute higher hours on engines that size? Would a thousand hours be considered high mileage- or two thousand hours?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    The 16V2000 diesel is 2200 cubic inches? Seriously?

I don't know what the service life of these big engines is supposed to be, but having to do major work at that price would reduce a boat's value considerably.

What would constitute higher hours on engines that size? Would a thousand hours be considered high mileage- or two thousand hours?
    Time will tell with the high HP versions but very few of the 1800HP 16V2000s have needed majors. Must say they will run 10K hours and then only a top end overhaul is needed. Same with the 3412s but many are tired or need service in the 6K range. The 1900HP C32 is too new to tell but is reported to be very reliable with all the kinks from the 1800HP versions worked out. Onlybissue I've heard about the high HP C32 and C18 is that they've been bored out too much and the cylinder walls are thin. If you drop a valve or other serious vaulure, you often trash the block. Pretty rare scary and although it's not a real common occurrence, I've heard it from enough Cat guys to believe it's a real issue. bottom line is it takes big money to buy and maintain any of these boats with these big engines. Don't know of any poor or middle class guys dropping 5 mil and up for a boat and they won't have the money to buy and maintain them when they get older. Hell 15 year old 60C Hatts are still bringing 600K+ for nice ones.
    Jack Sardina