Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Florida anchoring restrictions

For those interested and who may not have see the notification by the FWC, they are looking for boater comments on possible new rules restricting anchoring. You can voice your opinion in the survey FWC is taking. The survey ends December 7. Residents and interested visitors are welcome to reply.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/AnchoringSurvey

Re: Florida anchoring restrictions

I just completed the survey. It takes a while to complete. I cant help but think they will do whatever that want anyway. Just getting back from Key west and anchoring out half the time I can say I saw lots of derelict boat that need to be trashed. The people just passing through like us are not the problem but will be effected. I cant even say we ruined some rich homeowners view. If they do pass these restrictions it will be very difficult to tell what rules in what city. It will be a real mess and the vagabon derelict will still be cluttering up the waterways. I cant wait to get back to NC and the outter banks.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

I took the survey, and quite frankly, I see little or no problem with what is being proposed. I say this from the standpoint of someone who has done a fair amount of cruising in Florida and plan to do a lot more, especially during the winter, in the not too distant future.

The only thing I saw that was semi-questionable were the last couple of proposals involving local governments to dictate the rules. Seems to me that would be extremely difficult to keep up with, but there again, if they offer an interactive map, I can't see the big deal.

Of course the simple solution to all of this would be to outlaw sailboats.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Took the survey also... keeping derelict boats from just being anchored and abandoned is hard to argue with...but that is the current law! Expanding the definition of a poorly maintained vessel could be abused. Not being able to anchor within 150 of a residence after dark...a bit over the top, but letting local municipalities set the rules is a blueprint for trouble for transients.. As proposed, you couldn't anchor within 150 feet of a marina, boat ramp, mooring field, or boat launch ever, and no anchoring within 150 feet of a house after dark... For me, not an issue, I always stay at Marinas and rarely anchor out.... but this type "reasonable" regulation rarely stops at reasonable measures.