Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: First time winterizing myself

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Re shrink wrap, you need to keep the sheet from touching the Imron or you risk some peeling paint.

I think I'd get rid of the gas and run some aviation gas through the system. It is very stable and should be ready to go when you return. Adding stabilizer to E10 will not prevent the alcohol from sucking in water and you will likely have to deal with it when you return.

Bobk
    Great Idea with the Aviation gas! empty as much as possible then add it and run it fog the hell out it do the winterizing.

As Bob said about the shrink wrap spot on for any paint doesn't matter brand. I have done it for the past 3 years learned a lot of tricks I can share if you like. Just going away later today till the 2nd of Dec so pm me then if you want some tips and pics. Your 36 will actually be a little easier then my 34C because the difference in the front deck but the tips will still work for you. I would wrap it and also add lots of vents when you come back it will still be pretty clean and be as you left it.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Beatley View Post
    Good post everyone... I have owned my Hatteras now going on 5 years, and have never winterized. Living in Virginia, it gets cold, but the best fishing in the Bay is when it is the coldest, so I run the boat year round. I use two oil filled heaters that look like the old steam heaters in older homes. One in the engine room and one in the lower area, positioned between the head and the galley. So far no issues..

This winter however, will be different. I just accepted a year long assignment in Saudi Arabia and will be leaving in two weeks. This means I will have to put the boat on the hard and have it winterized. I will likely be gone for year or longer.

My real question is about the GAS. Yes gas, I have an older 36C with Marine Power 454's. They run great.

Do I store the boat with tanks full and load them up with fuel stabilizer, or spend the money and have the tanks drained, as well as the gas lines and filters on the engine? I have been burning gas with ethanol, as i burn it out so fast, the ethanol has not been an issue.

My wife says that I should try and sell the boat and get a larger one with I come back... I really do not want to do that as I have now become very attached to this one. Rebuilding for five years, everything now works and works well.

Although after sitting on the hard for a year, maybe longer, I do not know how much more will have to be fixed with it is finally time to go back in the water.

The yard where I plan to put the boat also suggested shrink wrap. I would like to hear more opinions on shrink-wrapping boat for long term storage. Most of the boats around her are wrapped for the winter.

Thoughts please..... any other suggestions for long term storage?
    Do you still have the original fiberglass tanks and are using gas with ethanol? I don't think it matters how fast you burn it, the ethanol will break down the tank. A few things to think about. Storing the tanks empty will create more of an explosion or fire risk. It's the fuel vapors that are the problem not the fuel alone. Empty tanks will be full of fuel vapor. Do you have someone who can regularly check on the boat and address any problems that might arise? You also want someone checking in on her regularly so others see activity. A boat sitting unattended is a target for theft. You mentioned that you will be gone for at least one year, could that end up being much longer? I know you don't want to hear this but I think your wife is right. Sell it now and find another one when you get back. Far too many issues with leaving the boat unattended and not used.
    Jack Sardina

I too have a gasser and when the season is over I leave whatever gas is left in the tank there. I don't add any or pump out any, just add the recommended amount of Startron conditioner to tank. The boat starts right up in the spring and I have never had any problems with ethanol. I have been doing this for 10 years and my engines run great. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckytek View Post
    I too have a gasser and when the season is over I leave whatever gas is left in the tank there. I don't add any or pump out any, just add the recommended amount of Startron conditioner to tank. The boat starts right up in the spring and I have never had any problems with ethanol. I have been doing this for 10 years and my engines run great. Just my 2 cents.
    But you're only leaving her for a few months. I know the older '60s and '70s Hatts have been having issues with ethanol. Curious if the same applies to later model boats. When I had gas boats I've stored them with and without full tanks but never with the tanks below 3/4 or so. When I had my 46C re-powered I brought the boat into the yard when the yard was closed. They were supposed to top off the tanks before they hauled it but forgot. Cockpit tanks were low and the following spring I had water in the tank that was on the sunny side of the boat. Only time I had water in any of the tanks.
    Jack Sardina

I know this is getting off topic but I think you're flirting with danger and might want to reconsider the ethanol gas and your fiberglass tanks. I had to replace the tanks in my former Hatteras, a 1967 34 dc with 426 Chrysler's, six years ago because they were starting to break down. I was told the valves would start sticking and eventually ruin the engines. I think there's enough information out there about this to warrant consideration. I went to aluminum for a total cost of about $4000 back then. Maybe they improved the tanks in the later models but 2 new engines will be mighty expensive regardless of the year.
    Family Tides - 1969 41' Twin Cabin
    Mema - 1984 17' Boston Whaler Montauk
    High Bar Harbor Yacht Club
    Barnegat Light NJ

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
    I know this is getting off topic but I think you're flirting with danger and might want to reconsider the ethanol gas and your fiberglass tanks. I had to replace the tanks in my former Hatteras, a 1967 34 dc with 426 Chrysler's, six years ago because they were starting to break down. I was told the valves would start sticking and eventually ruin the engines. I think there's enough information out there about this to warrant consideration. I went to aluminum for a total cost of about $4000 back then. Maybe they improved the tanks in the later models but 2 new engines will be mighty expensive regardless of the year.
    This is the point I was trying to make. I know the tank issue doesn't apply to all fiberglass tanks, it's resin specific. Slane makes fiberglass replacement tanks that are fine with ethanol. Does anyone know if this problem is model/year specific? I don't know for sure but I don't think it's a problem on Bertrams which I believe also have fiberglass tanks.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
    Thank you one and all for the great advice I always get here. I've occasionally seen other boat forums but never one where the members are so active and so willing to share there knowledge. I count my lucky stars I bought my first Hatteras 8 years ago and not that Silverton.
    There are many reasons other than this forum why you should be happy you bought a Hatt instead of a Silverton. It sounds like you got the winterizing under control. Most important thing is to be sure you have enough concentrated antifreeze in the systems you're working with. I should be down your way next week or the week after. I'm heading to Grants for the winter. Any issues or concerns coming into Barnegat and crossing the Bay?
    Jack Sardina

I had the fiberglass tanks replaced 4 years ago with Aluminum. Based on what I have read below, still do not know if I should just fill them and put in stabilizer, or pump dry? I will shrink wrap the boat....
    PV23

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Beatley View Post
    I had the fiberglass tanks replaced 4 years ago with Aluminum. Based on what I have read below, still do not know if I should just fill them and put in stabilizer, or pump dry? I will shrink wrap the boat....
    Fill them. The gas vapors will be very high if the tanks are empty.
    Jack Sardina

Bertrams DO have the same problem; that is, ethanol attacks their old FRP tanks also.

Kim, you are talking about 250 gallons of avgas which even if you could get it to the boat would cost you a fortune. (I use avgas to lay up my mower and motorcycle but we're only talking a few gallons in those)

I think I would pump out all the ethanol fuel, add ten gallons of avgas to each tank, and stabilizer, and run the engines and fog them down. I would definitely shrink wrap the boat. I admit this leaves a large air space in each tank, but it does avoid the issue of ethanol in the fuel path.

It's hard to sell a boat you like. Besides, who knows what will be available when you return? And you shouldn't sell your boat in a hurry. If you decide to move up to a larger boat, there's plenty of time to do that when you come back.