Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Intermittent Starting Problem

Sometimes my starboard Cummins 370 hp (mechanical) turns over and sometimes it does not. Just clicks and acts like a dead battery. Sometimes I move the shifter back and forth all the way to exercise the neutral safety switch and sometimes it rolls over and sometimes it does not. If not, I move all 4 battery (8D) switches to ALL and sometimes there is joy and sometimes not. If not, I press the parallel switch on the bridge and sometimes it rolls over and sometimes not. Today I did all the above and nothing worked. Then I tried it without any extra measures and it started. Go figure.

Until today one of the above procedures has always worked but I am stumped as to the cause. The 8D AGM battery is only 4 months old. It takes a charge well and unless the boat is not run for a day or two the starter engages as if nothing has ever been wrong.

This happened when I bought the boat in late July and all assumed it was the battery...so it was replaced.

Intermittent problems are hell. I wish things would just break and get it over with.

Any ideas?

Re: Intermittent Starting Problem

well I guess it is now trial and error I love chasing the ghost. I would start by checking the voltage at the battery and then work your way inward toward the starter also check your start button I had a bad one in my engine room with similar symptoms sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. always works now that I changed it.

Check all terminals for tightness and cleanliness. At that batteries, at the battery switches, and at the starter.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Remove the fastener that attaches the ground cable to the engine block. Clean the cable and the area of the block where it attaches.
    Bob
    "CRAZY HORSE"

Quote Originally Posted by rmatt View Post
    Remove the fastener that attaches the ground cable to the engine block. Clean the cable and the area of the block where it attaches.
    X2. No ground means no juice.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

6. Re: Intermittent Starting Problem

Replace and adjust the neutral safety switch.

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    Replace and adjust the neutral safety switch.

To check the neutral safety switch, just bypass it until you can rule it out.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I do not doubt the wisdom of the forum, and would simply add that I had a similar problem corrected by cleaning ALL negative ground wires and terminals.
    Another 'same' problem was solved by a new starter switch at the upper helm.
    Best of luck, you will overcome!
    Sailor John
    Sailor John
    Mad Hatter
    38' Double Cabin Flybridge

I'll pass along my similar problem from a year ago. I went through new 8D's, new wire ends, rebuilt starter etc. A marine electrician changed the wire ends a second time to a better quality, AND changed the battery selecter switch. No more issues after more than 3000 miles operation. In my case I could watch the voltage drop at the bridge volt meters. More than a 1.5V drop when starting seems to be trouble.... a simple system condition test.

Bobk

Electrical problems are, as noted in several posts above, are usually connection-type issues. I suspect that cleaning all the appropriate connections will solve the problem.

A voltage drop test is, IMO, the most useful test for determining the condition of the wiring/connections/switches between the power source and a component and/or isolating the problem. If you are not familiar with the procedure (you'll need a multimeter/voltmeter), you can do an internet search for "Voltage drop test" and find many tutorials. Many of the tests you will find will be oriented toward 12V auto starting systems but the process is identical regardless of what kind of component/voltage you are testing.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"