Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuel Problem

Fuel Problem

after filling racor and secondary engine starts and runs above 1000 rpm , if idled back it quits and filters are empty, I heard there is a check valve in the fuel pump on this engine and if bad will allow the fuel to return to the tank? Could possibly the pump be weak , and at higher rpm its pulling fuel from the tank but at idle it can just suck the filters? Also my other engine runs fine off the same tank so im sure the tank pick up is ok,

any thoughts ?

8-71 TI

Thanks Mike

Re: Fuel Problem

Sounds like a small air leak. The filters should not be empty unless they are sucking air from somewhere. At higher rpm, there is probably enough vacuum to overcome the leak.

I would look at the Racor lid seals and O-ring first.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

What he said. Probably a leak in the lid . Did you overtighten the t handle?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

What they said!
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

i once had a chip of paint from the lid get on the gasket and cause the same problem.... what they said......check the o ring on the t handle also

Sounds like a fuel line obstruction up stream from the Racor. I once had the problem when someone borrowed the tank filler cap and replaced it with a piece of duck tape. Later the tape got into the tank and eventually into the fuel line. The engine would run until the Racor was sucked dry no matter how tight the lid was.

I had an air leak in my priming pump and I saw air bubbles coming into the racor bowl. It was on and off, but I valved out the priming pump and it went away. Actually a friend hit the valve with his foot while helping me in the ER. Thats how the valve got turned in the first place. Seems like you should be able to see bubbles in the bowl. I could still get fuel flow so your leak must be really bad.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

I would check the filter housing first. if things were fine before you changed the filter, the problem is likely at the housing sucking air

Thanks Guys Ill be back on the boat on Mon and will concentrate on a leak, by the way i did notice air bubbles in the racor

Thanks Mike