Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

transatlantic trip

Anyone on this forum a veteran of Atlantic crossings by ship? I am thinking about taking my two older godchildren (ages 30 and 25) on a crossing next summer and wonder if anyone here has any suggestions as to what ships they've been on, and any advice. I've always wanted to do this and figure I shouldn't wait too much longer.

Re: transatlantic trip

If you want reviews, go to www.cruisecritic.com

Check out the forums there and ask away. Most of those people are cruise nuts. They list all of the cruises that they've been on in their signature lines.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

3. Re: transatlantic trip

I've been checking out going by freighter..... I would prefer being with a max of 12 people compared to 5,000 any day... Course, I doubt a 25 & 30 yr old would feel the same...
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

I agree. But they would want to have all the amusements that a cruise ship provides..... as you say. I've thought about the freighter trip, too, and might do it. Or a smaller, slower cruise liner later on.

Wish the SS United States was still running. If I could resurrect any ship from the past, it would be her.

5. Re: transatlantic trip

I've been on the Queen Mary that's now in Long Beach, Cal.... It's very impressive and can only imagine what it must of been like...
    But I agree the USS UNITED STATES would be better
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Jim, I'm sure you've checked out the Queen Mary 2 that has an 8 day crossing to Southampton. It has whatever your wallet can stand for accommodations.
    Art

I have two crossings under my belt....one at one year old and the other at four. The trip from NYC to England in 1951 was on the SS Bruckner, which from what my parents told me was a converted troop ship from WWII. But the return run in 1954 was on the SS United States! I was four but it must have been awesome because I remember a lot about it. The stewards coming through the hallways playing multi-toned chimes to announce the daily meals, and that ship's steam horn that could either cure or cause diarrhea! I also remember passing boats like they were having engine problems. She WAS fast!
    Randy

You're a lucky man. When I lived in Norfolk, I would pass her all the time laid up at the NIT- a huge ship, looking sad with peeling paint. She is still in Philly, laid up,and I doubt she will ever sail again. Heartbreaking- the greatest ocean liner of all of them, and designed and built here in the USA, in Virginia. She was out of service long before I ever could have afforded to sail on her, unfortunately for me.

Glad you were able to cross on her, and gladder still that you are able to remember it, though you were only four. Must have been quite a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Artzco View Post
    Jim, I'm sure you've checked out the Queen Mary 2 that has an 8 day crossing to Southampton. It has whatever your wallet can stand for accommodations.
    It will probably be her. Might as well go for broke. So to speak.

QM2 would be my choice.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"