Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bow Pulpit

Re: Bow Pulpit

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    Yes, definitely call Bruce before going to Jarrett Bay or embarking on this pulpit project. How did you come to pick JB? There are a lot of good yards up your way.
    Thanks everyone.

I know and respect Bruce. I may call him. I do not need a project manager but surely could use some advise on things.

There are yards up on the Bay however I have had good luck at Jarrett Bay. The yards I talked to up here were not competitive or did not reply. Also the Chesapeake bay area has very cold winters not good for painting. Warm booths for the big girl narrows it down a lot. 120,000 lbs with 18 foot beam narrows it down a lot. So its Jarrett Bay. My first choice was Hinkley because of friend referrals but after talking with them at the boat show and emailing them twice I still have not heard back.

The ebay Hatteras pulpit is too small.

I have every intention of bringing in Jarrett Bay to do the work. But I thought that I would help them a little. I will contact Slane today and see what they have.

Skooch

The pulpit project is on. Purchased a new one from Tom Slane for under $2000 and arranged for Jarrett Bay to install time/material. I spent some time yesterday looking at my old one and I agree with Sky and others. "If it was my boat I would buy a new one." I was happy Tom Slane had one and could build any of the pulpits if required in a few weeks. And I thought the price was fair.
    Thanks for the help.

Now, the windless is an Ideal 1/2 chain and is in poor condition. It works ok but I will replace it as well. I am leaning towards a Maxell RC12-12. Any wisdom from the the group would be appreciated.

Skooch
    58 LRC
    Wye River MD

Quote Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
    The pulpit project is on. Purchased a new one from Tom Slane for under $2000 and arranged for Jarrett Bay to install time/material. I spent some time yesterday looking at my old one and I agree with Sky and others. "If it was my boat I would buy a new one." I was happy Tom Slane had one and could build any of the pulpits if required in a few weeks. And I thought the price was fair.
    Thanks for the help.

Now, the windless is an Ideal 1/2 chain and is in poor condition. It works ok but I will replace it as well. I am leaning towards a Maxell RC12-12. Any wisdom from the the group would be appreciated.

Skooch
    58 LRC
    Wye River MD
    That does seem like a very good price. I'm guessing that's just the pulpit and you are reusing the hardware from your old one. Glad it worked out.
    Jack Sardina

Now that we are all aware of your big project, we want pictures!
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
    Thanks for the help.

Skooch
    58 LRC
    Wye River MD
    We installed a Maxwell RC10 several years ago and have been very pleased with it.
    Regards
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

The project has begun. We took Skooch to Jarrett Bay last week in the fog and cold.
    The bottom looked bad so we are going to blast the old anti-fouling off to good tie coat and build it back up. Big dirty and expensive job. But needed.
    The bow pulpit is waiting at Slane's place for me to pick it up. I'm leaning towards a Maxwell 12-12 vertical windless at about $4k. The Ideal is very beat up and will cost about that to re-build. Anybody wants it make me an offer. First step is to remove the old pulpit. I took the one off little Skooch so I think I will tackle that job next time I go down.
    Hull paint Matterhorn White someitme in the late winter early spring.
    A couple of pictures to start. It is difficult to get a good shot of the broken crooked pulpit. But I like the one where its hanging over the 60 foot Hatteras Sportfish at Coinjock NC last year.
    Happy Thanksgiving.

20130831_123850 (800x600).jpg20130522_153234 (1) (800x600).jpg20131029_134221.jpg
    Skooch
    1976 58 Hatteras LRC

The pulpit from Slane will look great. Maxwell windlasses go on a lot of Nordhavns and other boats which anchor out frequently. Their support is said to be very good all over. Please post some photos of this refit, it sounds interesting.

Skooch, we will be in Beaufort on or about the 8th. If you are still at Jarrett (and I imagine you will be) would love to meet you and see your vessel. We had looked at a 48' LRC but fell in love with our 54ED. I'd like to see a 58 if possible. Wold also love to have you aboard Moor to Life.

Dave, we are still here in Morehead. There have been some big changes at Jarrett Bay in the past week or so according to Roger W. Be very careful there and supervise them closely; that has always been the case with those guys but more so now with the turmoil. Who is your project manager? To the extent the same crew on the bottom job side of the business is still there, they should do a very good job for you on that at least. After the bottom job, you might consider having the boat moved over to True World or Bock and having Bruce Morrison do the pulpit. I have to admit I am still scratching my head a bit as to why you came all the way down here given all the good yards up your way.

Personally if I was getting the boat painted in this general area I would look to one of the Wanchese yards like Bayliss or Spencer, or Atlantic Yacht Basin in Great Bridge. Otherwise I'd take it down to Thunderbolt in GA, a fantastic yard who as I learned first hand stands behind their work above and beyond expectations.

Given the choice between a factory refurbished Ideal and a new Maxwell, I'd take the Ideal every time. It will be as new and the customer service is superb.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I would be interested to hear about the windows on the sides of the aft deck on Skooch. They look more square and not angular like most Hatts of that vintage. Were they replaced?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI