Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Winterizing A/C units

Was winterizing boat this weekend and all went well until I started on the A/c units. The pump wouldn't pick up the anti freeze. Talked to a friend about it Sat night and he said I have to use a funnel and pour the pink stuff in while holding the funnel like a gravity feed because the pickup is below the waterline and the a/c pump doesn't have enough suction to pull the anti freeze into the unit. Tried that and got one gallon in and 1/2 gallon one me.Still doesnt seem like enough however saw some pink stuff came out the thru hull. Question is: Is this normal? Pump was running fine a week ago and sounded like it was running however I would think it would run the antifreeze thru like it does with seawater. Is it because the intake hose isabove where it usually is and doesn't have pressure from the open seacock?

Re: Winterizing A/C units

Most AC pumps are not self priming so the action of yours is normal. A good way to fix this problem is to install a separate gatevalve on the seacock so you can shut off the raw water throughhull but introduce water or antifreeze through the gatevalve into the sea strainer. That way you just hook a hose to the gate valve, drop the other end into a bucket of antifreeze, close the throughhull, open the gatevalve, and turn on the ac units. It will suck the antifreeze in with no difficulty.

The previous owner installed gatevalves on all the seacocks that have sea strainers in our 53MY - a GREAT help for winterizing.

I have always had to use the same system he did- gravity feed of the pink stuff down through the pump, which will not self prime and will not suck it out of the bottle. I also flush the system with fresh water before I use the AF so it takes a while to do it. Mike, can you send me a diagram of how you have it set up? I can't visualize it. I wish it would prime itself. I have a March 500 pump or something like that.

Jim,

I'm playing hooky today off and will be down on the boat. I'll take some pics of the seacock and post them here this eve.

Mike

Actually, I found a couple that I had taken earlier this season. The pic is not of the AC seacock but all of them on the boat, with the exception of the main engine RW intake seacocks, are set up exactly the same. So the AC seacock in the engine room is identical to this:

Ok, dumb question. My AC quit working this summer. As we don't really need it here in the NW, I've ignored it until now. I know the pump runs, but maybe it's just lost its' prime. How do I re-prime it?

Dick

remove the output hose on the pump. water should flow out. reconnect the hose. turn the unit to start. this should prime the pump.
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

I have a 54 ED and had the same problem. Take off the intake hose on the pump, attach a hose to that inlet with a sump pump in a 5 gallon bucket of non-tox A/F and turn the sump pump on. You can also use a Jabsco multi purpose handpump to achievve the same thing. 5 gallons is probably overkill, but it is cheaper than the alternative.

Also, I use the purple stuff (-60) instead of the -50. It's a dollar more and I get a little more peace of mind.

I had the same problem. Look at your manual for your AC pump. Mine said to close your seacock and loosen all of the screws on the pump seal and break the seal and allow the water to drain out of the system. I do think this is dangerous because to fully get rid of all the water you have to open the seacock when the boat is hauled. Now, if you forget to retighten the screws in the spring and forget to close the seacock, your in trouble. I left myself a large note on the seacock with instructions for spring. It worked for me and no more antifreeze.

That is not a good way to do it the motors are water cooled and some water can get trap in the tube going to the motor. You really want to make sure you get antifrezze in there. On all of my seacocks I add a tee with a plug unscrew plug add pipe nipple with hose close sea cock turn on unit suck the antifreeze thru until it come's out discharge done!
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>