Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need alternator help

We have shucked an alternator on our 43 DC. She has J&T 6-71TI's 390 HP. 12 volt system

Does any one know the part number and amperage output? The unit has NO visible outside markings. My son who works for NAPA and is the rep for alternators can't even identify it.

How about sources for rebuilt and or replacement? I am calling Sam's later today.

Any information would be helpful. According to my son this one is most likely not rebuild-able. The case is broken (go figure) and he said it looks like it was "under the boat" very corroded.

As always thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Need alternator help

Is it belt driven or gear driven from the engine?

Bring it to a good marine alternator shop and see if they can get one. If not maybe they can find a rebuildable core.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

We have the same engines and I believe the alternators are 100 amp.

But, your best bet is to get your engine serial number and contact J&T. They should have the info you need.

Will

Scott,

The core is trashed. I just got a look at it via skype (ain't technology great!) Belt driven and it's trashed I do not know how it was doing anything. As I said #1 son is Alternator rep for NAPA and he can not ID it other than it is a Delco unit with markings and tags long gone.

Will,

Do you have a number for J&T?

Thanks,

Russ

I brought mine into a shop that does marine work and he had rebuilts on the shelf. They are delcos too. Napa may not be able to match old discontinued units.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

They are 80amp I believe I just replaced one of mine and I have the same engines as you do, they are delco as said earlier I opted for an 140 amp replacement ,just need to run two belts , any good alt shop should be able to get you a replacement .
    Capt. Andy1980 43 DC

Andy,

Does your bill list a part or Model number?

Thanks,

Russ

Major ATTABOY for Bob Strang of Johnson & Towers!!!!!!!

6-71TI's shipped to Hatteras late 70's early 80's all had 80 amp Delco DREI27SI alternators

part number 1100080

Thanks again Bob

Russ, looks like you solved your problem ,to answer your question no I looked at my invoice it didn't have any useable part number.
    Capt. Andy1980 43 DC

Another Alternator Question

I need to replace both of mine. However one turns clockwise, and the other counter clockwise. Do you have to specify rotational direction when you order one?
    PV23