Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Viking 64 with outboards

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...outboards.html

Don't know if anyone has been following this, certainly "interesting" in a y'all watch this sorta way....

Re: Viking 64 with outboards

Wow! What a story! I can't believe it sank twice.

The only problem was wading through 30 pages of idiots trying to rename the boat. The whole story could have been told in 3 pages.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

3. Re: Viking 64 with outboards

I started to read the thread.... Did like the pictures I saw... But lost interest by page 3.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

You've got to keep going. Just scan through and look for the photos and any posts by NES. The rest is just background noise.

The story is unreal. You couldn't make it up.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

This boat came into Ocean Marine (Portsmouth, VA) late one Friday night 2-3 weeks ago. The outboards obviously got our attention! Also had black plastic taped over the windshield area. Odd sight to say the least.
    Michael & Cindy Ewing
    Southern Comfort, 1977 Hatteras 58YF
    Tidewater Yacht Marina
    Portsmouth, VA

I checked out the thread on tht a couples of days ago and there is so much static over there that I quit after a few pages... Last I heard elsewhere the boat was raised and is underway, saw a picture taken in Georgetown (a short day run from osprey where she went down)
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

7. Re: Viking 64 with outboards

It stopped here yesterday (Fernandina Harbor Marina) for fuel.... Had a lot of folks looking at it!!!
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

I saw it "floating" in the Navesink River here in New Jersey (just in from Sandy Hook Bay) right after Sandy. I saw it up close at Hoffman's in Brielle, NJ a few weeks later. All was in salt water, not fresh water as THT statement led people to believe. No barnacles because of the late season and cooler water. Holes in hull were no exaggeration. I person could climb into the hull through some of them. It was so sad to see. I'm glad that someone is restoring it, hopefully, but as you know, even if you own the yard, it's going to be a lot of boat bucks. In the meantime, it's entertainment for the rest of us and Viking will have a new advertising campaign, "Stronger than the Storm".
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

Quote Originally Posted by MicroKap View Post
    I saw it "floating" in the Navesink River here in New Jersey (just in from Sandy Hook Bay) right after Sandy. I saw it up close at Hoffman's in Brielle, NJ a few weeks later. All was in salt water, not fresh water as THT statement led people to believe. No barnacles because of the late season and cooler water. Holes in hull were no exaggeration. I person could climb into the hull through some of them. It was so sad to see. I'm glad that someone is restoring it, hopefully, but as you know, even if you own the yard, it's going to be a lot of boat bucks. In the meantime, it's entertainment for the rest of us and Viking will have a new advertising campaign, "Stronger than the Storm".
    Where it went down the second time is fresh or lightly brackish water near the Waccamaw River.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

A quick update. They have made it as far south as Daytona Beach, FL. They stopped for GAS at our marina late yesterday. Interesting sight to say the least. According to the guys on the fuel dock they are burning up the ICW waterway at a whopping 4.5 knots! They took on about 150 gallons of gas in a couple drums and bladder bags sitting in the cockpit. They are headed to Jupiter. Apparently, the original marina up north was going to charge them 50K for winter storage. Hence they opted for the move south to finish repairs.
    Best regards,
    --
    David