Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: ICE BLUE vs FIGHTING LADY YELLOW

i also heard that long ago, the bananas on ships carry spiders and when the workers would carry the bundles of bananas the spiders would bite them and they would die.....may be bullsheet but i heard this a long time ago from workers at the port of gulfport ms. where they unload a lot of bananas

I'm going to offend people's religious principles, which is why I didn't comment earlier. But it keeps coming up, so here we go:

Yes, there are factual foundations for some of these beliefs. They'll cause other fruits to ripen or rot. How long are you going to be at sea Ahab?

Spiders... "I see deadly black Tarant'la - Day light come and me wan' go home." Harry Belafonte in The Banana Boat Song Also true. But last time I saw bananas in the store they weren't crawling with venomous spiders.

Lots of superstitions have some root in ancient fact. Prohibitions on "unclean" animals like pigs probably originated from Trichinosis which was little understood at the time, but they knew that if you didn't eat pork you didn't get it, hence the prohibition. Thank G-d science has come around with answers to that, because I sure do enjoy some hot, crispy bacon with my eggs.

For the most part they're fun rituals and that's part of the rapture of the deep that we call tradition. But c'mon folks, it's a damn fruit for crying out loud. I've had some great trips when there were bananas on the boat, some lousy ones where there were none and vise-versa.

It's bad luck to be superstitious!
    Last edited by Avenger; 10-22-2013 at 07:02 AM.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    i also heard that long ago, the bananas on ships carry spiders and when the workers would carry the bundles of bananas the spiders would bite them and they would die.....may be bullsheet but i heard this a long time ago from workers at the port of gulfport ms. where they unload a lot of bananas
    That was what I understand as well.

Regarding the original question, I tend to believe that a boat should stand out clearly against the horizon, not blend in. There's a lot of us out there with bad eyesight and hazy enclosures. Based on that alone, I'd go with the yellow or original, classic, Hatteras Off White. And banana yellow would be my second choice. Why risk the wrath of Neptune?
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I heard that too..