Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ICE BLUE vs FIGHTING LADY YELLOW

Hello,

Almost certainly one of the first things we are going to do (besides minding any mechanical/safety issues) when we finally get our HAT is to paint the hull. I am having a difficult time deciding, so I wonder if there is an advantage to one or the other...i.e. is either color more durable than the other?

Also, do people who paint their hulls one of the above colors necessarily paint the top sides a bright white or do these colors look ok with the standard "Hatteras off white" color?

Thanks ahead of time for indulging me...

John

Re: ICE BLUE vs FIGHTING LADY YELLOW

Maybe a good approach would be to paint the hull first and see what it looks like with the topsides in the existing color, live with it for a bit, then decide what color you want to go with when you go for the topsides. Also I'd be looking at what other boats have done and see how you like them. How exciting - keep us posted!

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53 MY

Bananas and yellow boats are bad luck. Blue has always been the color of Dickie Webbers " South Jersey Campion" He may sue you for impersonating a OChit Yacht
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I've always liked the Fighting Lady Yellow but the Ice Blue has grown on me. Fighting Lady Yellow looks good with either Hatteras Off White or Bright White. I've never seen an Ice Blue hull with Hatteras Off White but don't think it would look right. Better yet, find a boat you like that doesn't need paint or is already painted your prefered color. Good paint jobs, particularly when you change color, aren't cheap.
    Jack Sardina

Those are the 2 colours I was after when looking for a Hatteras.

It's a hard call. Fighting Lady Yellow with teak looks a Mill$ but I personally think the Ice Blue will be better long term.
    As for fishing, I must THANK rsmith for letting me know that yellow hulls are the same poison as bananas.
    I NEVER allow bananas on my boat and have had a few arguments with people who actually thought I was joking until there lunch, including the banana were hurled overboard.

It is also believed that blue hulls catch more fish. True story!
    BTW my 53 is Ice Blue, with the added touch of many bill marks.

I will say once again that it's tragic to have to blame one's poor fishing skills on a piece of fruit.

Personally I like Fighting Lady Yellow, but I think I'd get fed up fast with all the lame "taxi", "school bus" and "banana" comments. I also don't see a problem with Ice Blue and Hatteras Off White. Against blue I don't see a need for stark staring white. I don't know if the same could be said about yellow.

In the end it's all personal preference. It's your boat, do what YOU like. The only issue that I'm aware of with boat colors is that dark colors show more imperfections and are harder to maintain. Of course in a sunny climate they'll make the boat hotter too.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    I will say once again that it's tragic to have to blame one's poor fishing skills on a piece of fruit.
    Shame on you for doubting the veracity of this scientifically proven fact!!!

Jokes aside, you are probably aware of the many claims to the origin of this FACT?
    Bananas on board a cargo ship will make the other fruit that is stored near it, spoil or ripen too fast.
    There are other facts too.
    I cannot continue writing this as I am in my cabin and I don't want "Someday" to become aware that we are discussing bananas!!!

Outstanding, thanks for the feedback! Bananas cause other fruit to go bad huh? Interesting. I never understood the reason for the aversion offshore. I don't get seasick but I always felt that bananas would be good for seasick passengers cause they taste the same coming up as they do going down

Make sure you check out Alex Seal paints. I have their version of Ice Blue and unless the light is right it can look white or blue. I am very pleased with the performance as well. Check out my pictures under George

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Make sure you check out Alex Seal paints. I have their version of Ice Blue and unless the light is right it can look white or blue. I am very pleased with the performance as well. Check out my pictures under George
    Thanks, we'll do