Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Hatteras 48 CMY owner

Hello all, Thought I would just post to say hi....
    I have just become the proud owner of a 1997 Hatteras 48CMY, to say I'm happy is an understatement
    She is fitted with 6V92TA, and boy, does she like a drink, just made our delivery trip -15 knots all the way, 130 miles and used a full main tank full - yikes! with hindsight I should have had her lifted and scrubbed before our trip.
    Kind regards
    Roy

2. Re: New Hatteras 48 CMY owner

Quote Originally Posted by B16rde View Post
    Hello all, Thought I would just post to say hi....
    I have just become the proud owner of a 1997 Hatteras 48CMY, to say I'm happy is an understatement
    She is fitted with 6V92TA, and boy, does she like a drink, just made our delivery trip -15 knots all the way, 130 miles and used a full main tank full - yikes! with hindsight I should have had her lifted and scrubbed before our trip.
    Kind regards
    Roy
    Congrats.
    We just closed a deal on a 52' that I'm moving from NC to florida next week. Dreading the fuel burn here also haha
    TommyB
    Full Cave Diver Instructor TDI
    NAUI
    TDI/SDI
    www.cavediver.net

Re: New Hatteras 48 CMY owner

Quote Originally Posted by TommyB View Post
    Congrats.
    We just closed a deal on a 52' that I'm moving from NC to florida next week. Dreading the fuel burn here also haha
    I'm sure/hope it will be better with a clean.
    Came very close to buying a 52, but went for the economic route instead..

A clean bottom is paramount. Also, run under hull speed. If you plow at 12-15 kts, you'll pass some sail boats but wont pass a fuel pump (without making a donation).
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Congratulations! We just finished our first season with our 95' 48MY and really love it. The layout is very functional. I concur with previous posters... our boat (and our wallet) is very happy at hull speed. Even with the 8v92's I don't get much more than 16 - 18 knots at 1800rpm. Best if luck to you!
    Jon
    1995 48 MY | 8V92TA DDEC II
    "D-Compression" Montauk, NY

Hi Jon, I've just looked at the images of your beautiful boat, I think I have got work to do....

Hi Jon, I've just looked at the images of your beautiful boat, I think I have got work to do....
    Thanks, Roy. Happy to share any info that might be useful if you decide to do refit work. I'll leave the mechanical stuff to the experts here who actually read entire questions.
    Jon

Thank you Jon, you may regret that offer when I bore you to death with my daft questions
    I only got her Friday, but there are some pictures on here if you search "Breakers Heaven "

Thank you Jon, you may regret that offer when I bore you to death with my daft questions
    I only got her Friday, but there are some pictures on here if you search "Breakers Heaven "
    Fire away - I never get bored talking boats. Ever. That's why I'm always reading this forum. I still have the shakes from when the site went down earlier.

I'll see if I can find the pics, but I think I saw the listing online a few months back. She was in really nice shape from what I remember.

Btw... what's the price of diesel in the UK these days?
    Jon

Hi Roy. We also closed on a 48CMY this year. Ours is a 1994 model with 6v92s. So far we've moved it from Baltimore to New Bern. On the way, we motored around 7-8 knots and got just over 1 nm per gal.

While in New Bern, we are preping the boat for cruising in the NE Caribbean. We're adding a third battery bank, a water maker and a propane stove.

My wife and I agree with you - we couldn't be happier with 48CMY. We've just finished ten years living aboard a 40' sloop. For the next ten years, we wanted a little more comfort.

Rico