Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Runnig out of time

I need to get my boat to Florida from Rhode Island. It will be snowing there soon & my main mission in life is to never get snowed on again.....It will make my crazy to dry dock it over the winter ,but I can't get away from the shop till after Oct 12th.

Has anyone done this trip this late in the year & was wondering on an accurate time frame to allow for this trip ? inside / outside ? what are the pros & con's . I may hire a captain to assist in this trip.

Otherwise I may have to go it alone. Mrs. G is a great help, but as we know wives are not the best crew , great with the lines but that's about it.....Wouldn't want to count on her in a stressful situation ....
    can anyone recommend a captain for this trip.....
    I really hate snow & know it's coming......

Re: Runnig out of time

I used to run the long island waters year round. The issue will be marinas and fuel for the northern part of the trip but I dont think youl find an iceberg.

Its all going to depend on weather and if you run inside or out.

Ive made the run a few times on the outside in just a few days. Running on plane and long days in the summer.

You wont have long days of light so you need to plan for that. also you wont need heat if the engines are warm. just let the warm air into the cabin on the cold nights.

Try 9 fingers randy for a captain. hes always up for an adventure. Just PM him as Freeebird.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

3. Re: Runnig out of time

I'm leaving for Palm Beach from Old Saybrook around the 20th of October. You can travel with us if you can maintain 12 - 13 kts. I run to Norfolk and go inside to fuel at Coinjock, then go back outside at Beaufort. I usually just run during the day - not in a hurry.
    Usual itinerary is:

Overnight to Norfolk
    Coinjock
    Beaufort
    Southport
    Charleston
    Fernandina Beach
    Canaveral
    PB
    Last edited by kelpy; 09-25-2013 at 09:18 PM.

12-13 kts is an odd speed. what kind of boat are you running? My 41 is not on plane at that speed but pushing a huge wake. Very inefficient for my hull for sure.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

5. Re: Runnig out of time

I was hired to bring a 30' Pursuit from Cape Cod to Jacksonville Fl last Sept.... Sadly I only made it to Atlantic Highlands N.J. before losing the port transmission so never got to finish the trip.. But the weather window would of worked out great......
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Capt. left Kent Narrows on Feb 5th 2013 (on a wooden 57' Chris Connie) for North Miami Beach. Made it in about 10 days. Pick your weather days and you should be fine.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

We normally leave around the middle to end of Nov. from Brielle. Get a bit of wind and bounced around once in a while but that's what it's like that time of year. Few lay over days but you get there. Left the boat in Marathon for some paint work last spring but not a biggie leaving that late. I've done it in that time period four times. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

8. Re: Runnig out of time

100 ft Broward.

The latest I ve left New England was right after Columbus Day. The first few days to Norfolk were to cold and a bit rough in LIS and DEL. I recall leaving Nantucket right before a gale warning came up. Had to wait a coupe of days for the boring run down the jersey coast line... But from Norfolk on, it s fine and you have the option to stay in the ditch anyway.

No snow, but I remember some think ice on deck one morning in Stamford CT
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    I'm leaving for Palm Beach from Old Saybrook around the 20th of October. You can travel with us if you can maintain 12 - 13 kts. I run to Norfolk and go inside to fuel at Coinjock, then go back outside at Beaufort. I usually just run during the day - not in a hurry.
    Usual itinerary is:

Overnight to Norfolk
    Coinjock
    Beaufort
    Southport
    Charleston
    Fernandina Beach
    Canaveral
    PB
    12-13 knots wouldn't work on a 43DC. Seems I've put a few miles on one of those.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93