Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

need 2 1/2 inch muff coupling

Anyone have a 2 1/2 inch muff coupling or know where I can source one ? ..........Pat

Re: need 2 1/2 inch muff coupling

SAMs has had them in the past. Slane Marine may have some used ones lying around from a refit.
    Jack Sardina

I am not so sure a used muff coupling is the way to go. What if is out of true or worn? What say the experts? Can a new one be so expensive that used is the way to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Boatnut View Post
    I am not so sure a used muff coupling is the way to go. What if is out of true or worn? What say the experts? Can a new one be so expensive that used is the way to go?
    They can be very expensive. Biggest problem is if they aren't available. I wouldn't go with used as my first choice but a good used one can be fine. When I had an issue with a stub shaft I had everything pulled and checked out. My remaining shafts and couplings were fine but I decided to go with new one piece shafts anyway. Given the cost of the muff couplings and the machining of the other shafts, I figured a one piece shaft is much less complicated and doesn't have the potential allignment of failure issues that you have with two piece shafts.
    Jack Sardina

Issue is I have everything back in/on the boat ready to splash and no one checked the coupling before NOW and the damn thing is twisted. I understand all the pluses of one piece shafts , but at 10 knots and with the other side two pieces and everything ready to Rock n Roll I really need a new coupling. ......Pat