Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Runnig out of time

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    100 ft Broward.
    Can you just load them on deck.

Your at hull speed so thats no big issue for you but the LWL on a smaller boat will prevent it from keeping up unless on plane.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

You d be surprised at how many people run at 12 or 13 kts in boats with 9kts hull speed... I see it all the time, half on plane, burning as much fuel as they would at 18... Never figured out why they run that way as it makes no sense whatsoever.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

What would be the hull speed of a 100' boat, Pascal? Wouldn't it be around ten knots with all that waterline length?

1.3 times the square rt of the lwl dr Jim.
    12 to13 kts is about right
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    You d be surprised at how many people run at 12 or 13 kts in boats with 9kts hull speed... I see it all the time, half on plane, burning as much fuel as they would at 18... Never figured out why they run that way as it makes no sense whatsoever.
    That's why I said it wouldn't work as opposed to saying it can't be done.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

This 43DC seems to like to be at 1450 & GPS says 9.5k @ 2000 she is at 12.5.- 13k the motors seem to be working to hard . I haven't checked the fuel burn yet but it seems low if the gauges are working correctly. I have run the boat 30+ hrs over the summer & used 1/4 of main (300)gal I haven't toped it off because I may pull the boat to install a new transducer before we head out & I didn't want the extra weight in the hull.

I will know my shop schedule next week....

Paul,

What size props??? I do 9.5 at 1150-1200. I have 24X23 4 blades. At 2000 I'm on plane....18+
    Same boat just TI's and i do not think that would be a big difference.
    Last edited by rwappleton; 09-27-2013 at 02:41 PM.

8. Re: Runnig out of time

I have 24X24 props...
    I now do 8+ kts at 1200 rpm, 12 kts at 1800 rpm and 14 @ 2150 rpm.. BUT we are liveaboards and have a LOT of stuff onboard...
    At seatrial when we bought it, got 18 kts at 2150... But it's not fun running at that speed.
    We like 8 kts at 5 gph speeds..
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Survey said 24 ~ 24 4 blade , I didn't check them myself, just didn't think of it. I know they were just redone by the PO before he gave it back . Do you have the 671n"s ? I will look into new wheels 24~23 , that sounds like a huge difference in the same boat.

I spent most of the summer @ 1450 @ 9.5k - the marina had a barnical outbreak(more than usual ) , the boat didn't seem to get on plane, Just a great big PLOW - Slug. makes me wonder if it could have a critter issue. I'm leaning on pulling it before we leave to install a new airman 260 transducer.

I'm still in the beginning of the learning process of this boat. if this boat can run 20k @2400 I would absolutely buy some new wheels & keep the one on the boat as spares.

10. Re: Runnig out of time

6-71N's....Nice and basic motors
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com