Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Re: STOLEN Hatt 53 MY

It was taken shortly after Sept 10 per the OP.....hope it's found.

Not trying to be a jerk but what would be a good way of disabling the engines to prevent it being taken under it's own power?....fuel cutoff somewhere?? Positive side of the starting battery cutoff /interrupt??
    both??

key switches with no keys in them is the first step.

Trip the emergency shut down flappers everytime you leave the boat. Won't stop a pro but....

5. Re: STOLEN Hatt 53 MY

Kill the master DC bus for both engines (I always did when leaving the boat.) I also closed the fuel supply manifold selectors at the aft bulkhead.

If you don't know where the switches are you need to turn back on you're not going anywhere. If you do (those are not so tough as they're right on the aft ER bulkhead on the 45C) then you still have to jump the starters -- but that isn't all that tough either. With mechanical engines if you can roll 'em and they have fuel they'll run.

But if you don't also know where the fuel manifold is (it's NOT in the engine room) they won't run for very long.....
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Do what the repo guys do, chain it to the dock.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Bigger question: Why would someone steal an old, slow Hatteras MY?
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

they wanted the steps?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

New fishing spot?????

Quote Originally Posted by rwappleton View Post
    New fishing spot?????
    Yah, get me those numbers. Or should I just look for the oil slick, I always joke around with friends of mine that there isn't a boat in Fort Lauderdale I couldn't walk on and within a few minutes find the keys and be inside doing a few checks and underway without hardly anyone questioning it. As a matter of fact if I was by myself I'm sure I could get some help from the neighboring owner/captain or even the dockmaster with nothing more than a short story if any story at all. Most boats have a key in the tackle center, in a locker, under a bucket, in a wet bar, under a step affixed to the underside of a hatch, somewhere nearby. I would say 95% of all boats have the key located within 15 ft of the door. Any boat theives out there? Just Saying.