Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Maui Jim vs Costa Del Sol

Not sure this belongs under tech talk, but what the heck.

I need to replace my prescription sunglasses. Do any of you who are on the water frequently and use prescription sunglasses have an opinion on the brand with the best lenses? I'm most interested in glare reduction, minimum color/image distortion and image clarity. Because I need progressive prescription lenses, I think I'm pretty much restricted to Maui Jim, Costa or Ray Ban.

Any feedback on your experience would be appreciated. If I'm going to shell out $600-$700 for a pair I'd like to be sure I'm getting the best ones.

Thanks
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Re: Maui Jim vs Costa Del Sol

Love my Maui Jim's but I can't speak for the others as I've never tried them.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Costa is a great company and they are local.

I has the rubber on the temples failing and the asked me to send in the glasses fo rthem to see and fix. I asked what I would do while they were out for repair and they sent a pair out for me to use and keep. granted the original pair was their top of the line and the loaners were 1/2 or so the price but did I mention I got to keep them for free?

I broke the temples on one pair ( my fault) and ordered replacements Thursday afternoon and had the Fri. $35 plus frt.

Again grerat service
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I have Costa Del Mar (not sol). I have had them for 8 yrs. The kind I have is the triple tail model with amber glass lenses. They say glass is better with less distortion. The only thing is they are real heavy on the nose. I wear them about 6 hrs, then switch to the cheapo walmart glasses. The Costas go back in the hard case. They also have a warrenty they say if you break them, send them back for a new pair. Also if you scratch them up bad, send them back and they'll install new lenses. I wouldnt hesitate to by another pair.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

I've got a pair of Jacksonville glasses. Visually perfect lenses (glass, not plastic). But they are much heavier than my previous pairs of Maui Jim's. Going back to Maui Jim's, since the weight doesn't cause them to slide of a sweaty nose!
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

Costa has both glass ( my good ones ) and plastic ( everyday pair)
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

You might look at Kaenons, which are very good indeed out on the water, and see if they can be supplied in Rx/progressive.

8. Re: Maui Jim vs Costa Del Sol

Ocean Waves is the Jacksonville maker.... I had a pair back in the 90's and loved them.... My problem with them is, most only come in single prescription lens... They tell you to go to CVS or Walgreen and get the 'stick on' magnifying lens they sell if you want bi focals...
    They do now make the progressive lens I need but are VERY proud of their prices...
    I simply bought a pair of "Solar Shields" that fit over my glasses... Work great, are light weight and only cost $24.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Well, thanks guys. I've had a pair of Maui Jim's for about 5 years, but the prescription is old and I have to replace them.

When I started shopping around I found that I really liked the Costa del mar frames better than the Maui Jims; a much tighter fit and overall more comfortable. There's a lot of negative stuff on the internet about their warranty, however. On the other hand, the temple and hinge broke on my Maui's a couple of months back. They replaced both temples for only the $10 shipping charge and threw in a new hard case. Can't beat that.

Sounds like aside from the warranty issue both brands would be a good choice. What lens color would you recommend for general cruising, not fishing?
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Maui Jims do have a good warranty... for most people. I found they wouldn't service the sunglasses I got from them. I haven't had a problem with the Costas I have, so I don't know.

My new favorites are Kaenons- they are very ruggedly made, and they are not part of Luxottica, which seems to own all the other sunglass brands.