Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

It's block heater day - Tstat question

After a season of putting it off, I decided to replace my defective block heater today. It's under the mounting bracket for the alternator so that makes it a bit of a chore to get to but I figured I'd do it while my old NECO autopilot waits for it's new transistor!

I don't know what brand the block heater is but I assume it's one of the Kim hotstarts but I'll determine that after I pull it. When I bought the boat it had house-type thermostats connected to the block heaters which looked rather "un-marine-like" so I removed them very quickly. But I'm thinking of installing Tstats for them when I install the new ones. But I got to wondering what real purpose they would serve for me.

I never left the heaters on for extended periods so I don't really see what good a Tstat would do. The longest I recall leaving them on was maybe a couple of hours and the water temp in the block never got above 140. I can understand having Tstats if the block heaters are left on for many hours or days but since I never do that, I can't really see any reason to have them.

Am I missing something? Do some folks leave them on for extended periods where the Tstats would actually be needed to limit the temp? I don't think the heaters in my engines could ever get the temps up past around 140 though I don't know that for sure.

So do Tstats serve a useful purpose for block heaters?
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: It's block heater day - Tstat question

X2 Mike. I'm in the "turn 'em on when you need 'em camp". I usually turn them on a few hours prior to launch and they work great. If I leave them on overnight things get good and toasty- enough to heat oil in 5 gal buckets to flow nicely with the 32vDC pump back into the engines after a 12 hour break from pulling oil in late October in Ohio (the block heaters are a dual source on my boat- for heating the blocks and heating oil at oil change time). But I'm also not sure if I have t-stats or not...
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

Thanks! I'll just keep the method I've been using - turn 'em on when I need them.

I just finished pulling the heater. It's not a Kim, it's a J Jeb 1500W.

Wasn't really much of a chore. My biggest issue was not remembering how much coolant was in the engine - I only had two buckets and it wasn't enough. I had to go search the dumpsters for something to hold a couple more gallons!

I'm going to run up to the local Diesel shop when they open later to see if they have any of these J Jebs or a suitable substitute. Here are two pics:

First is the side of the block with the alternator bracket in place which covers the block heater. The red and yellow wires go to the heater. Second is the heater itself. (I see I need to do some clean-up painting on the alternator/surrounding area... )

Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Dc heaters? 32 volt? Red and yellow would be dc.

By the way a thermostat would allow it to be left on to keep moisture out of the engines if the boat sits for long periods.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I leave mine on once the weather gets cold, but mine are pan heaters, not block heaters.

Someone who originally installed them used the wrong wire- should be black and white, right? I've never heard of 32vdc block heaters, they are always 120vac or 240.

120VAC. You are right, of course, re the wire color. I didn't know about the wire color until it quit - the wires at the heater were covered with electrical duct sealant so the colors weren't visible. I should replace them. Then again, I could just cover the visible ends again with duct sealant.

I just got back from the Diesel shop. I must be getting to old/crochety...

I walked up to the counter with the block heater in my hand; conversation went like this:

Me: I need one of these for an 8V71TI
    Tech: What is it?
    Me: it's a block heater.
    Tech: What do you mean?
    Me: What do you mean, 'what do I mean?' It's an engine block heater.
    Tech: What's it for?
    Me: It's for an 8V71TI
    Tech: I mean what does it do?
    Me: It preheats the engine block.
    Tech: I don't think we have anything like that.
    Me: Could you check?
    Tech: do you have the serial number?
    Me: No, there's no number on this thing.
    Tech: I mean the engine serial number
    Me: Well, not with me but I could go back and call you with it
    Tech: Chris should be here sometime later today. Call back and give him the serial number.
    Me: I'll be back at the boat in 10 minutes, I'll just call you with the number soon as I get back.
    Tech: Chris won't be here yet.
    Me: Can't I give YOU the number?
    Tech: Chris does that stuff, call him.
    Me: OK, thanks

This guy wasn't some young kid who was just answering phones - he was at least in his 50's or 60s so I would have thought that he could write down a serial number as well as Chris. Apparently not.

Oh well, guess I'll call Chris later...
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

If I remember right I've seen hot water tank wiring red and yellow down stream of the thermostats
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

1500w is kind of overkill, IMO. I have 1000w (immersion type) on my 8v92's and they keep everything nice and toasty, and dry during the winter. I have T-stats and love them as we like to keep the heaters on almost all the time during the winter here in NC. We open the engine room doors and they will keep the lower level of the boat above 50 degrees even when the outside is in the 20's or below consistently. The big metal stays an even temperature. We close up the ER vents with some plastic foam wind flashing and beach towels, easy to take out before departure (we boat year around).

Now in my case I have the heaters with an immersion thermostat that is a pig tail to the heater, so it adjusts to the engine coolant temp, not the atmospheric temp. Much more ship shape.

Mike, if you still are dealing with morons on this issue, try calling Phillips Temro, maker of mine, they are very helpful and could point you to a dealer in the area. Integrated T_stat is an option on theirs. Here is their fitment guide. Looks like yours is on page 41:

http://www.phillipsandtemro.com/user...CATALOG_HS.pdf

Or call the Kim Hot start people, I think a lot of DD dealers carry them.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Mike - on my 56, I had Kim Hotstart immersion type heaters. They came with button type thermostats that would cut off the block heater when the coolant reached 140 or so. In addition to that, I added separate wall mounted thermostats in the engine room that would turn on and off the block heaters depending upon the ambient air temps in the ER. To that, I added two, three position toggles in the pilothouse with a light. Those toggles would place the block heaters in the thermostat mode, off mode or manual override mode. In the winter up here in New York, I simply set them in the thermostat mode to turn on when the ambient temps dropped below 40 degrees in the ER. I am not yet sure what I will do on the new boat since there is an on/off switch in the ER for each block heater with an idiot light. I might just buy a plug in outlet that has a thermostat built in and use a space heater for ER heat this winter. Still thinking about that one.

Thanks George,

I don't think those on page 41 will fit. The alternator bracket has a narrow oblong slot that just allows space for the external part of the element (where the wires attach) - see pic in my earlier post. The ones in the catalog appear to be round and larger in diameter than the width of the slot in the bracket. I could modify the bracket - that's what drill presses/hole saws are for but I'd rather get the same heater so I don't have to modify the bracket. But I'll look elsewhere in that catalog as well as wait on "Chris" to return my call.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"