Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Considering this 43 DC-would be our first Hatteras

Hello all, new to the forum. We currently own (and I restored) a 1975 33' Chris Craft Coho. We are thinking about upgrading and have scheduled a visit to a 1980 43' DC in Huron, Ohio. I cannot post links yet but it is easily located via Google search. List price is $79,900.

Any thoughts? She looks well cared for. I need to get more info on the engine work that's been done; its been referred to as a "rebuild" and a "top end " rebuild, and only one engine was done.

Anyway, any advice on what I should be on the lookout for?

Much appreciated; looking forward to learning more!

Re: Considering this 43 DC-would be our first Hatteras

Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Wow, that looks like a well taken care of boat. Hopefully its still in that condition. It looks like its in someones backyard. That's good. Its much easier to take good care of your boat when its so close. There's a ton of stuff to look for and look at. A good broker will know what to look for. Do you have a broker or are you winging like I did? There a couple brokers on the forum that can steer you right. Anyway, the 43 had problems with soft decks under the pulpit. Ask me how I know.....Is the CO2 cylinder been hydro'd within 10 years? Well basically a good hull survey will tell you that. You get the idea though. The 43 is a good solid boat with a good range if you keep out of the throttles. It will roll a bunch in a beam sea but blast through 4 footers on the nose. Heck, if it doesnt smell like mold, potty, or diesel and doesnt have water stains running down from the windows (discolored wood below) when you go take the tour, I'd say thats a nice boat. Of course, the owners are going to give it away with all the work they've done to it. It also depends on what your going to use it for. If you travel, your gonna want updated electronics, a good anchor/chain, an inverter. Thats more money. Keep us posted. Welcome to the farm, i mean Forum.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

One of the few without a flying bridge, which would be my choice as well, but not most folks. Need more photos of the engine room.

Possibly a good boat, depending on what the survey and engine/generator surveys look like. This is a popular model, they are fine boats.

Jim is correct, no fly bridge. Mine has the fly bridge which they started in 1985. We love it though. The thing with our boat is the stairs. To walk from any level to any room, you need to traverse stairs. It's not for the weak kneed person. It has been known as the stair Master. The older ones do have their advantages. The visibility in ours is great. Also I like how those Detroits sound. Nice deep growl. My Kitty catts just purr. Yeah, engine room pics would be great. Makes you wonder....
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Thanks all, yes that YachtWorld link is correct. Yes, I have a broker. This boat has been listed for three years I'm told.

Our Coho is a bridge boat, which I love for visibility.......but no one rides up there with me. I'd prefer being the center of attention!

I'll get a bunch of pics on Wednesday when we check her out. Looking forward to posting an update.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottbowlick View Post
    Thanks all, yes that YachtWorld link is correct. Yes, I have a broker. This boat has been listed for three years I'm told.

Our Coho is a bridge boat, which I love for visibility.......but no one rides up there with me. I'd prefer being the center of attention!

I'll get a bunch of pics on Wednesday when we check her out. Looking forward to posting an update.

Scott
    Three Years? Thats a long time. If it was a nice looking boat and a good deal, you'd think someone would have bought it by now. Somethin aint smellin right bout that.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

This may explain it. Looks like the seller had a little reality check where pricing is concerned.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...ition-99646649
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Ah Haaa. That would be a good reason it's been three years. I know it must be heart breaking to put time, effort and money into a old classic and then see the market go down. I bet the new price will be very firm as well. I dont think banks like to finance anything over 20-25 years old.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

I would think there would be some wriggle room on that price too. Remember this one?

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...OR-SALE-34-900
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93