Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How To Avoid Huge Ships

There really is a book on doing this, written by a retired ocean master named John Trimmer, and published by Cornell Maritime Press, which is now out of print. Copies of it are going for as much as five hundred dollars. Captain Trimmer wrote it to enlighten folks like ourselves, some of whom have been run over by ocean-going vessels that they got way too close to.

However, most people have no idea what the book is about, and there is a series of reviews of the book on Amazon.com which are quite interesting, to say the least. I highly recommend logging onto Amazon.com and reading some of the reviews.

And, with all respect to Captain Trimmer, the suggestions in the book are quite valuable, as is the general principle- stay far away from these vessels, and you won't get run over. And if you've got a copy and are short of funds, think about putting yours up for sale...... or trading it for a few hundred gallons of diesel, which is appreciating also, if not at the same rate.

Re: How To Avoid Huge Ships

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    There really is a book on doing this, written by a retired ocean master named John Trimmer, and published by Cornell Maritime Press, which is now out of print. Copies of it are going for as much as five hundred dollars. Captain Trimmer wrote it to enlighten folks like ourselves, some of whom have been run over by ocean-going vessels that they got way too close to.

However, most people have no idea what the book is about, and there is a series of reviews of the book on Amazon.com which are quite interesting, to say the least. I highly recommend logging onto Amazon.com and reading some of the reviews.

And, with all respect to Captain Trimmer, the suggestions in the book are quite valuable, as is the general principle- stay far away from these vessels, and you won't get run over. And if you've got a copy and are short of funds, think about putting yours up for sale...... or trading it for a few hundred gallons of diesel, which is appreciating also, if not at the same rate.

You only hit the one you don't see...

I know that some people, usually women and children, but also the inexperienced, tend to get anxious when we are about to cross paths with a big freighter or tanker. Even if you pass a big ship with a half mile to spare these folks will still be sitting on their hands. Personally I have always enjoyed getting close to the occasional ships bow or stern, if not to break the monotony of a long blue water crossing. My avatar image is proof of my lifelong passion of "checking out" passing freighters...

Last edited by hatteras 1985; 08-20-2013 at 03:22 AM.

I'd want to be at least that far away.......

Problem with Big ships is most boaters can't tell if they are on a collision course or close to one! They also underestimate how fast they can MOVE

And then of coarse there are the just plain stupid one's
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

I piloted an aircraft carrier in and out of Pensacola for four years. The blind spot from the bridge to in front of the bow was 500 yards. It never ceased to amaze me how many sailboats would just disappear from view on the bow of a 1000 foot ship going 15 knots. I could honk the horn but that is about it because it took a mile to stop that thing backing down full.

Now that I am on the motor yacht side of the equation I always alter course and go astern. They won't back down to hit you.

Freestyle
    Tampa

If one transits shipping lanes, particularly at night, you would want a system that will graphically display the Closest Point of Approach, and have agreed upon minimums for crossing the bow. I have only used a Furuno system that includes the AIS information (not on my boat obviously), and is one way to be comfortable. Just using line of sight references or bearings can be difficult if either boat is changing course. I made that mistake in Puget sound once as I turned to go behind a freighter, only to watch him turn towards me at 20 knots! a 180 solved that one.

Without such equipment, one should steer clear, as stated above.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    Problem with Big ships is most boaters can't tell if they are on a collision course or close to one! They also underestimate how fast they can MOVE

And then of coarse there are the just plain stupid one's
    How true off the coast of NC the edge of the gulf stream almost makes a direct line between Diamon sholes to the north and frying pan to the south. The big boys hawling fuel and cargo cut the corner and stay inshore of the current moving south and stay in the current moving north. They cam make 20 to 28 knots easy. If you get closs and use the glases you can easely see no one in the wheel house. Get closs no not me! They can run you over and never know it.See you no body is looking .. I agree stay clear...

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle View Post
    I piloted an aircraft carrier in and out of Pensacola for four years. The blind spot from the bridge to in front of the bow was 500 yards. It never ceased to amaze me how many sailboats would just disappear from view on the bow of a 1000 foot ship going 15 knots. I could honk the horn but that is about it because it took a mile to stop that thing backing down full.

Now that I am on the motor yacht side of the equation I always alter course and go astern. They won't back down to hit you.

Freestyle
    Tampa

Did you used to drive the Saratoga? The Old Sara?

AIS (minimum --- receive only RX-- better unit is the transceiver) combined with radar will serve the purpose. We cross the gulfstream, Crooked Island passage, Mayaguana passage, Windward passage, etc. numerous times at all hours a relying on AIS/Radar. Lots of information given by target taking out the guess work. Take a look at Marinetraffic.com and you will see the gulfstream traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by hatteras 1985 View Post
    Did you used to drive the Saratoga? The Old Sara?
    I was on Lexington (AVT-16). It was used for carrier qualifying new Naval Aviators. Sort of like catching manned missiles.

Bruce