Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile Looking to buy Hatteras 36 Convertible

Looking to buy Hatteras 36 Convertible, or Sedan, 1986 or newer, twin Diesel, Cummins, Yanmar, or Cats. Appreciate the help. Thank you all.
    Last edited by Anthony; 08-18-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Re: Looking to buy Hatteras 36 Convertible

Anthony

Take a look at my last post about this topic. Given the age of the boat you are seeking to purchase, I think you need to look at some real expert help, namely a good broker. There are several Hatteras expert brokers on this web site. Reach out to them for guidance when you ready to buy.

Spin

Hi Spin,

Thank you for the reply, see I need maximum length of 36'. Hatteras built them from 1983-1986 (C), and 1986-1987(Sedan), so no more of that size!. Where can I find that post please, and do you know of any expert, and HONEST Broker!

Best Regards,

Anthony
    Last edited by Anthony; 08-18-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Why the max length? What about the 34 and series one 36? Lots of options. I would also consider how you intend to use it before determining only this or that boat.

We work with a lot of customers that know what they want until they see the options available.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Hi Scott,

The 36' choice is for few reasons of usage ( inshore, offshore, fishing, cruising, fuel consumption, practicality, and docking).
    The 34' is less than the Maximum, then it "might" be OK?. There are too many other Factors beside the length ( for example: Boat general looks, Hull shape, beam width, the dead rise at Transom, Stability on Drifting and on anchoring, Diesel Engines make, model and hours, salon arrangement, Galley Position, Flybridge console arrangement,...ETC.
    If you are a broker, or you know of an Honest one, then give me the contact information please. Thank you or your reply!

Best Regards,

Anthony
    Last edited by Anthony; 08-18-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Here's what might work a little better (and, 23 years ago, the kind of approach that did put me in a Hatteras):

Make a list of what's important to you and your family about your next boat. How long will you stay out on her, how many people will be along and sleeping on the boat, how far do you plan to go, including offshore, what are your intended uses, what's your budget for purchase and upgrades and then maintenance, where do you plan to keep her and the dimension limits of those slips...

Then ask a good experienced broker what your choices are. In my case, (remember how long ago this is!) the broker, who is a forum member here in MD, recommended I look at the Hatteras 36, the Bertram 35 and 37, and two Egg Harbors- I think the 33 and 35. I liked the Hatteras and the rest is, more or less, history. We were actually trying to buy a different 36 for sale much closer to home, but something went wrong with that deal, and I can't recall what. I ended up buying Blue Note in CT instead.

A 36 Carver and a 36 Hatteras, for example, have only in common that they float, they are made of the same basic material, and they are thirty-six feet long. After that, they vary considerably. A good broker will know what is out there in used models and can steer you to something that will match your needs and your budget.

I picked three boats for myself before I bought the Hatteras. I have now owned the Hatteras for more than twice the time that I owned the other three all put together. That ought to tell you something; there's a lesson worth learning in there, and the lesson is this: someone who spends their professional life learning about boats and getting familiar with hundreds of different ones has a lot of information to give you. And, the person who is selling the boat is going to pay them to educate you and help you out!! That is a good deal and you should take advantage of it.

Hi Jim,

Agree with all what is written, that been said, if you know of a good honest broker, then let him contact me, or pass me his contact infos please. thank you for the reply.

Best Regards

Anthony
    Last edited by Anthony; 08-24-2013 at 09:28 PM.

We love our 1986 36 convertible. It has been a great boat. These are HUGE 36' boats compared to early Hat 36s or Tiara 36 boats Ours has gas engines. They run great and move the boat well. I would not trade ours for one with old worn out 3208 Cats, or the over blown 6-71s. I would love to convert to modern Cummins QSB engines but cannot justify the expense.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Hi Maynard,

I second your opinion, Cummins QSB would be great choice BUT, whatever $$ you will put in an old Boat, its good $$ on a Bad one. Unfortunately the Age is the Age, and the value is the value. Thank you for your input!

Anthony
    Last edited by Anthony; 08-24-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Hi Anthony.

As a broker from back in that era, I agree a mid-80s model 36 Hatteras Convertible is a great choice! Most came with the 671TIs. A well maintained 671TI is still a great engine, (and less costly to rebuild). Few delivered with Cats back then.

I really like the Hatteras 36 too. But as mentioned above, you also need to investigate the 37 Bertram and 35 Viking models of that era, simply because back then, those brands in addition to Tiara represented amongst the highest quality standards in the industry.

I found the 36 Tiara Convertible to be a big disappointment due to a wet/pounding ride even in 2-3.

I've also been lucky enough to take a ride in the Hatteras, the Viking and the Bertram. I found all 3 to be excellent. I can only describe it as a feeling of "confidence" under you. You would be delighted with any one of them, if you can find a nice one.

Also consider a 35 Bertram (1982 or newer) for the updated teak interior. The 35 Bertram and 35 Viking models are "more likely" to have Cats. Most of the 36 Hatteras and 37 Bertram models will have 671s. I don't know where you are, but please take the time to see each of these "models" closest to you, no matter what condition. Just to compare.

Once you pick the "model" that's the best fit, then you go out and shop for the nicest one of those. Every broker has a different opinion on what "nice" is. The reality is that most of the available boats out there are pretty nasty. Most owners think their boats are a lot nicer than they are as well.

Shop carefully.