Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: "In-Frame" Overhaul question...

Years ago I had a Striker 44 and the engines, which were 6-71s, needed overhauls. Actually it was easier and cheaper to just pull them out of the boat and send them off for overhauls. Any money I would have saved on an in-frame overhaul Iwould have spent, and more on having to have the shop people at the boat for all the work. Not to mention no test run, no dyno, etc.
    This isn't so bad on convertible boats, but it is a nightmare on motor yachts. No one builds MYs with an eye towards replacing the engines. Hatteras is no better and no worse than any other company on this one. I know my CATs can come out through the salon door. If I had a MY with a sick engine I would figure that a Sawzall would be the first tool to get out of the box for engine removal. There has to be a better way than that to build a boat.

The 53MY has large hatches in the salon above the engines. The engine/tranny can be lifted straight up into the salon.

Admittedly there are a couple of tricky bits - figuring out how to get a crane into the boat; wondering if the salon floor can support a crane lifting 2 tons of engine/tranny; and figuring out how to get the engine out of the boat.

Of course one could remove the flybridge and cabin roof. Then a crane could pick the engine up and deposit in wherever.

I figure the engines are never coming out of there...

Don't say that...you'll jinx yourself. I don't see any way engines in a MY can be pulled out except through a hole in the roof. In a Hatteras 53, they would have to come up into the salon, right? and then out of there. They were put in before the deck was installed, I'll bet. Ouch. Not pleasant to think about.
    There was an article in Passagemaker recently about a 58 Hatteras MY that was repowered and made into a trawler, essentially. They took the 8-71s out and installed Deere in-line sixes at a much lower power rating- she is a nine or ten knot boat now, if that. I think they were able to take out the Detroits by taking them apart, and get the Deeres in without sawing the roof out, but I am not sure. So, if you don't mind going REALLY slow, you could, if you needed a repower, just disconnect everything going to the Detroits, and hook a pair of lawnmower engines to the shafts with a 15:1 reduction gear. And Bob's your uncle.
    Time for a motorcycle ride. The air's getting thin in here.

Mine have been out 2 1/2 times in 40 years. Two were planned, the 1/2 occurred after the stbd. engine's oil line to the filter unfastened itself at full throttle at a very inconvenient time. Amazingly, once I cleared all the oil and smoke away, repaired the line, and refilled the oil it started right up and got me home before its complete repair! With 8-71s it is best to remove the exhaust manifolds before A-framing the engines out. After the first time I installed hatches in the engine room companionway to make manifold removal easier. Engines taken out aft salon door on a boom attached to a fork lift on shore. (Boat will rise 18 in. above waterline.) I had DD completely tear down and rebuild engines and transmissions, which they brought up to current standards at that time. They paint them, test them and partially run them in before reinstallation. Meanwhile, you should be cleaning and repainting the engine rooms, since it is a LOT easier to move around in there without Mr. Diesel. After the rebuild (in 1980), Fanfare never ran as fast as she had before. I tried many fixes but none worked. I suspect DD hotrodded the 350 hp 8-71Ns a bit, as previously I could run 18 kts. and afterward the boat wouldn't plane, topping at 13.

About ten years ago, due to this speed drop, I started thinking about the next rebuild, even though it wasn't due yet. I wrote Jack Hargrave, who suggested replacing the 8-71s with 6-92TAs, increasing hp from 350 to 550. He cautioned me not to try 8-92s as they wouldn't fit. The new engines and new Twin Disc transmissions have proven even more reliable than the originals (but I rarely exceed 2000 rpm, giving me a cruise of 16-18 kts depending on fuel load).

Jim Grove 1966 50MY

That is interesting..so you have a vintage boat with the newer engine package. What a lot of us have here, come to think of it, myself included. Is there a web site with pictures of Fanfare, or any photos on this site?

I have some pictures, but I have not been able to get them posted. (I hate to ask my kids to show me how to make a 7 megapixel photo smaller, but I guess I'll have to swallow my pride yet again!)

Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY

Jim,

Can you pass on to me the contact no. for Jack Hargrave. I have a question that would help me a lot. Thank you.
    James
    38'-'68 Hatt.

jim

download and install www.irfanview.com it's the best, smallest, easier to use image conversion software .... and it's free.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

James:

Jack Hargrave was the naval architect and designer of all the early Hatteras yachts, and had his office in Palm Beach until his death in 1996. I sure appreciated his advice, for which he refused payment. If you have questions the best place to start (other than on this website, where people seem to know, or have experienced almost everything) is by phoning Hatteras Yachts in New Bern NC at (252) 633-3101. They have a world of information, and are very generous in assisting owners.

Jim Grove Fanfare 1966 Hatteras 50MY

Both of my 6-71 in my 43 were rebuilt in the boat in frames. I didn't see it. But it had to be tight. A friends 43 Trojan had his removed through the roof of his salon. Bill