Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Acme Transformer and Boost Switch

I have an Acme Transformer on the Port Wall as well as a Low Boost/Off /High Boost Selector switch in Panel.. How Does this this work- on Low Boost at my dock the transformer seems really hot- If I turn the boost switch- it shuts off the panel? 1971 53 My with upgraded Outback inverter-- do I need this transformer or boost- I understood it is for Voltage boost?
    thx

Kevin

Re: Acme Transformer and Boost Switch

Quote Originally Posted by caryboat View Post
    I have an Acme Transformer on the Port Wall as well as a Low Boost/Off /High Boost Selector switch in Panel.. How Does this this work- on Low Boost at my dock the transformer seems really hot- If I turn the boost switch- it shuts off the panel? 1971 53 My with upgraded Outback inverter-- do I need this transformer or boost- I understood it is for Voltage boost?thxKevin
    The first week I got your boat in Dec 2016 was to bypass this transformer. It is used to boost the shore line voltage when the marina’s provide low or very low (high boost) voltage on their shore lines..
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Why would you bypass it? Look at your voltage. On low boost it will probably not change the incoming voltage. In the Off position is probably no voltage at all. In the "high boost" it will probably raise 208v inputs to somewhere around 240v. This is a very useful item. They do produce some heat but that is normal.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Why would you bypass it? Look at your voltage. On low boost it will probably not change the incoming voltage. In the Off position is probably no voltage at all. In the "high boost" it will probably raise 208v inputs to somewhere around 240v. This is a very useful item. They do produce some heat but that is normal.
    On low it adds 15v and high adds 30v. Putting a lot of stress on AC devices, producing heat in the ER, and buzzing all the time. I asked back then and I was told it is kind of something of the past, at least in the areas I boat the in.
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Boost transformers are still used today, but were not seen often back then. I would keep it if it was on my boat. The stress to motors and compressors comes from low voltage. This device helps to supply the proper voltage.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I had a boost transformer made by Wards in Ft. Lauderdale for my 48 MY. Before getting it I was only
    getting about 208 V to the boat, after it was about 230 or so. As far as heat and noise is concerned, I
    actually installed it on my dock next to the power tower. They are weather proof except for potential
    rusting which can be controlled with paint. After I bought it I learned that the Hatteras installed isolation
    transformer can be set up to accomplish the same job. Sky actually provided information on how to
    set it up with a selector switch. Mine made no noise but it did generate heat which is a good reason to
    install it outdoors.

Walt

HiI used mine today in LaConner Wa to boost the 50A shore voltage. Got upFrom 200 to 220. Mine are Acme Sheffield ones with 4 positions. Off 208 215 and 220. The boat really likes to have 240v. Mine gave the most boost in the 208 position. I switched them under no load. And yes they can HUM!Dan