Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windproof Grill

Windproof Grill

We have a Magma gas grill on a rod holder stand on our cockpit. It is almost useless in any type of wind. If the flame does not go out in the wind, the wind enters from the openings and the grill doesn't get hot enough. Any suggestions on a small, gas grill suitable for either a rod holder mount or table mount that works well in a calm to moderate wind? Thanks.

2. Re: Windproof Grill

I feel your pain. We bought a rectangular Magma to replace the round one for just that reason, but the new one is as bad or worse. I tried lining the inside of the box with aluminum foil in an attempt to block the wind, but that has only limited effect. When it's calm, it works great.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Re: Windproof Grill

I gave up on gas grills 6 years ago when I bought my Kenyon electric portable. It also comes in a surface mount. No effect from wind and cooks evenly and a pleasure to clean. Here is the link with some info.

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...ghlight=kenyon
    Art

Can't say anything good about the magma grill so ill move on

I have seen smaller ss home grills adapted to be used in rodholders.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Nothing will work in the wind. I usually get a throw away for our Bahama trips but the drill is to do it on the dock and arrange the coolers as wind blocks
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Never have a problem with the Magma. When anchored, you put in on the back rail out of the wind.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Had a round Magma for several years in my rod holder. Always blew out. No plastic on our aft deck. After gassing many burgers I developed a taste for steak tartare.

Bought a Magma charcoal grill. After carrying it around for ten years unused due to fear of burning varnish off the rail finally gave up and donated to the local library.

Last year I saw 240v electric grills in Amsterdam, giving some thought to this. But then have to figure out a 240v outlet on deck or somewhere. Is there a 240v Ground Fault Interrupter? Most grilling would be done before dark, so I should have adequate excess generator capacity for this.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

That is why the 110v Kenyon is so well suited for boats. I've cooked everything from pizza to steak and wind is not a problem.
    Art

Do the so called infra red grills do any better in the wind? Also, as far as electric grills go, I was never really happy with the Jenn Air electric I had on the last boat and it too suffered in the wind. Just trying to make sure that if I replace the grill I have, I take a step up and do not have to worry about not be able to use it in any kind of light wind.

The problem I've had is the cooling effect from the wind not the ability to maintain flame. I tried an electric but it was too slow on preheat. Back in the day when we first got the boat we had one of those cast iron hibachi grills that folded in two. The thing was great but I didn't like carrying charcoal around.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present