Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cruiseair unit needed

The compressor is shot in my master stateroom. AC guy said I just need the unit that goes down in the engine room. He said I did not need the evaporator unit in the closet. He said if that part went back after I put in a new unit in the engine room, all I would do is loose freeon. If I replace just the compressor on the old unit in the engine and the other part goes bad in the engine room, then I will damage the new compressor. Where can I purchase just the unit that goes in the engine room. Thanks,
    captbuddy

Re: Cruiseair unit needed

Not sure I understand correctly (maybe some typos in your post?), so let me summarize: I think you are saying that you want a new condensing unit (which is the unit in the ER that has the compressor, controls and cooling coils), and not the evaporator unit which is remotely installed in the stateroom which is comprised of the coils, evap fins and blower, right? And you're asking where you can buy a condensing unit? Answer - anywhere....CruisAir or Aqua Air are just a couple that I know of that come to mind. What size unit and what brand of condensing unit are you wanting to replace? Your AC tech should be able to supply you with any kind of condensing unit you need.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

If you only need the compressor, many available at about 300-400 dollars, a condensing coil, a chunk more for sure..check with you tech. guy and verify exactly what he wants you to get done..if you are unsure of his answers, second opinion a must...

Angela,
    you are correct. Just need the unit that goes into the ER. Tech advised me not to just replace the compressor only. He said get the whole unit that goes into the ER. Not sure what size it is for the master. Need to look.
    Thanks,
    captbuddy

i'm looking for the same thing, mine has a freon leak in the condensing (water)coils. mine is a 10,000 btu unit that uses r22, i would like to stick with r22 if possible since all of my other units use this freon.

I think I can help each of you.
    Please email me at Grobinson@ottens.com for direct contact.

George,
    I sent you an email.
    captbuddy

It may be cheaper to change to a standalone unit in the master stateroom. The new cruisaire units are quieter than the old evaporators and generally fit in a smaller footprint, compressor and all. if it is as old as the unit, may end up with a freon leak also. They use less amperage, open up space in the ER etc etc.
    Shawn
    58 MY

shawn, i was thinking about doing that... i still have not made up my mind. it would be as simple as building a shelf and running one water hose to the back, there is a seachest right on side of where the unit goes so i would not have to run a return line to the existing overboard discharge.

FWIW I just got a quote for a new Cruisair 10K BTU condensing unit, $2500 and another $950 for the TurboVap air handler.
    Jack Sardina