Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 6v71 tib

6v71 tib

Are there any reasons why 6V71 TIB's might be less desireable than an inline 6? I know about the TIB part and having owned a great set of inline TIB's I am not worried about that issue.

RC

Re: 6v71 tib

Size and shape. One fits where the other may not m
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Size and shape. One fits where the other may not m
    What boat are they in? 6V71's are not too common in recreation marine applications. They are great engines and are similar in size and appearance to a 6V92. I've never seen or heard of a TIB version. Is this a factory package or a mod? There are 8V71TIB mods out there that have been done aftermarket.
    Jack Sardina

Jack,

I have seen 6V71's in Atlantic (evolved out of Gulfstar, I think) motor Yachts and Post convertibles. These are in a Post. I am waiting for confirmation from the broker as to what exactly they are. The spec sheet calls them TIB's but he is sort of clueless.

I would rather buy a Hatteras but I am willing to look at other brands....even flat deadrise brands...because my former running style of green water over the top is gone.

RC

Quote Originally Posted by seasalt View Post
    Jack,

I have seen 6V71's in Atlantic (evolved out of Gulfstar, I think) motor Yachts and Post convertibles. These are in a Post. I am waiting for confirmation from the broker as to what exactly they are. The spec sheet calls them TIB's but he is sort of clueless.

I would rather buy a Hatteras but I am willing to look at other brands....even flat deadrise brands...because my former running style of green water over the top is gone.

RC
    I know Atlantic used them as did Bertram but never saw them in a Post. Are you sure they're not 671TIB's or 6v92TAB's? Both were common in Post, particularly the 43 and 46.
    Jack Sardina

No, I am not sure at all. The other ones like it have 6 92's. I am only going by the spec sheet which reads 485 hp 6-71 TIBS, which, if true are my preferred engines.

The broker was supposed to call the owner and get me more information today about the overhauls and exactly what is in the hole but he has not called me back. From his scanty pics there are certainly not inlines.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199.../United-States

The specs don't say that they are V engines.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Eric,

I know. The pictures just looked funny to me like they might be V's. As I now look at the picture with the blue hose I can barely see the valve covers in the top of the picture which would suggest an inline 6.

Another thing that confused me was how the bolt on stuff (coolers, tanks, etc.) looked. These are J&T's. I had Covingtons of the same year and they looked completely different from these engines.

I just had a call from the broker and he says that the owner is positive that they are 6-71 TIB's, not 92's and not V's.

I have a call in to the company that did the overhaul.

Not my first rodeo. ;-)

RC

definately in line 485hp 671TIB.

Green grenades. Fyi I believe the 6v71 was up to about 425/450 hp max.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.