Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Running gear and spray zinc coating

Hello Everybody
    I was talking with a yard manager the other day and he suggested using cold galvanizing zinc spray to protect the running gear from barnacles. I thought that was a very interesting solution. I have used the zinc spray before and it sticks like crazy, but I didn't use it underwater so I don't have experience with that. Has anyone ever attempted this? He said you would simply spray the shafts and the propellers with the coating. I suppose it couldn't hurt. Another topic that came up was cleaning the bottom paint with muriatic acid. I have brushed muriatic acid on the shafts and propellers to get rid of the Marine growth in the past and it works wonders. I never once thought of using it to clean the scum from the bottom pain. I would imagine the muriatic acid would give a nice etch to the existing paint Enabling an even better bond with the new paint. Anybody ever do this? Many yards won't let you sand, but etching with a product that turns inert pretty quickly seems like a viable alternative.

Re: Running gear and spray zinc coating

I applied zinc primer and it has worked well on one shaft for the past few months. See http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...Stbd-Side-Only

It is more work, but the better approach is to paint with 2 part epoxy, and then cover with a hard anti fouling paint like Pettit Trinidad. Apply the AF as soon as soon as the epoxy is dry to touch, about 4 hours. The only problem I experienced was having to remove the epoxy to pull a bent shaft.

Regards
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

We used the Petit Zinc spray, I think it's called Barnacle Barrier or something like that, on my running gear this year. It's too soon to say for my boat, but the yard owner said he used it on his boat last season and it worked well. In typical "shoemaker's shoes" fashion, his boat hardly got used.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

zinc coat barnacle barrier spray by pettit is the best most widely used .bare metal, apply 3-4 light coats . you have to spin your props regardless during heavy growth season . if you are splashing your boat during the heavy growth time and dont plan on using your boat right away, slap some of your ablative hull paint on the props over the zinc coat , sure itll blow off in a month or so but itll give you an extra protection for that peak time.

The folks at our yacht club who do not make much use of their boats seem happy with this approach. I tried it once and made a comparison test between the Rustoleum zinc spray and the Pettit product. Both wore off before I completed the 1200 mile trip to Florida. And nothing would have grown on the gear in that time anyway. Probably best for dock queens.

It seems like using ablative paint on props and shafts, especially if you use the boat a lot, is not the best approach. Why not put non ablative paint on the running gear?

I know a lot of yards that do this up North. I was told it works well but only good for about a season. I had my running gear blasted, primed and painted with a hard anti-fouling paint. Same results. Worked OK for about 1 year.
    Jack Sardina

Will using muriatic acid be allowed for environmental BS reasons at your marina?

The acid is neutralized when dissolving the barnacles and also when it reacts with the ground. A friend hauled out and used a spray bottle of acid and the marina personnel came round and told him he could not use acid to clean off barnacle bases from the hull. So when they would leave he would use it anyway.

I put 2 good coats of Petit Zinc spray paint on one prop & shaft (after complete cleaning) and let the other side go. After 4 months and 100 NM almost no difference between the sides, and there were some barnacles. After 500 NM there was almost nothing left and very little difference in barnacles. I decided it wasn't worth it. There is an old thread somewhere in here with pictures.

Yes I use Muriatic acid every time mix it 50/50 with water in a pump sprayer and do the water line down cleans so much better then I power wash. Many marina's I know do it the same way. First year with the Petit for myself I have seen it work on most boats but still need some time off the dock
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>