Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1971 53 MY Water Line

Finishing restoration

All good on sea trial. Slight vibration on bridge at 2100 rpm WOT @ 17knts- none at 12knt. checking engine alignment on friday gauges slightly off but fixing.

We seem to be experiencing a slight bow heavy feel. In the slip, the water on bridge seems to be collecting in the corner of the seating and as well in aft salon not draining to the aft scuppers. More flat or even but if you look at the boat from the side it "looks" slightly bow heavy but the water lines look fine and the exhaust is about 1/2 covered. No bilge issues and we have lightened the bow by removal of the w/d and full size fridge- do have a cable master. Is this normal on the 53my.?

Also- besides sea trial- how would test to see if your Naaid stabilizers are working properly. They power up and the panel works and the boat seems more stable at low speeds when on?

thx

Kevin

Re: 1971 53 MY Water Line

On the Naiads, look at the reservoir. It should show oil in the tank. Then look at the gauges. The bottom gauge is system pressure which should be around 1000psi. The top gauge on the gyro is regulated pressure and should run between 400 and 600psi. This can be adjusted for sensitivity. If all is well there, then look at the actuators themselves. They should point to the centering marks when idling at the slip. Have someone rock the boat back and forth and the actuators should move back and forth around that centering mark. That is about all you can do without a sea trial. But also make sure you are getting cooling water to them. Look for water exiting the boat at a thru hull that is near the oil tank. Oil temp once operating should be about 140 degrees.

If you haven't done any maintenance on them, you should change oil and filter and also change the shaft seals. If this is done periodically, they will run seeming forever without much problem as long as the hoses are in good shape. The only other common problem is an oil leak at the feedback assembly. Make sure there is no oil around the actuators. If there is, it's probably the feedback assembly leaking.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 06-26-2013 at 10:24 AM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I ve never noticed mine or others to look bow heavy. What do you have in your tanks? If your water tanks are empty, the stern may be a bit high, same with the aft fuel tank, if it s light and the the forward tank is full you may be a bit bow heavy. The washer dryer won't make much of a difference...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

What do you have for chain or rope in the anchor locker?
    Water collecting around the front of the bridge enclosure is normal due to the shape of the bridge floor, which is added on top of the original cabin roof. There are seep holes at the forward corners of the bridge floor to let that water drain out along the cabin roof top to seeps on the outside of the bridge enclosure. Not the best system, and needs to be kept clean to allow water to drain.
    Aft salon should have scuppers at both the forward and aft corners of the aft deck floor on each side, so it drains either way on the sides and the floor is bowed in the center along the centerline so water runs to the sides of the aft deck.