Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Well pump leak while on dock water

My freshwater system uses a Dayton 3/4 hp well pump and works great. The dockside water enters the line after the well pump and the pump operates as a check valve so as not to pressurize the water tanks.

All is well except the well pump has begun slowly leaking while the dockside water is on. It appears to drip at the joint between the motor and the pump. Before I take it apart and look for o rings or gaskets I thought to ask for your wisdom. Thanks as always!
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

2. Re: Well pump leak while on dock water

I never use dockside water, want to keep the tank fresh. So, if there is no leak when using the pump, then no problem! When my pump when bad, it was easier to just get a new pump from Sears. My impeller was broken, so it would have been a major rebuild. The Sears pump had same footprint and fittings as the old Dayton, and is quieter. Price was just about twice that of a rebuild kit, but replacing only took a few minutes. Lowes also has similar pumps, but the footprint is different,
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Re: Well pump leak while on dock water

Sounds like the shaft seal is bad, should be a easy fix if you can get the seal. I would also install a check valve to prevent dockside water pressure from getting to the pump. That said I also never use dockside water.
    Curt

Re: Well pump leak while on dock water

Thanks! Sears it is and a ball valve to prevent back pressure.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee