Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: More trouble in New Bern

Look at the boats that entered the big rock tournament here in NC approximately 100 only one Hatteras. Most were customs they are fast cheap in comparson to the Hats or other production boats.
    The guys fishing are not boomers they are young executive or fishing on dads dollar. Purchase a 60+ hatteras will bust 3 mil a custon in the same length depending on finish one point 4 mil. Production boats are grate most of the time there is warrenty and service. The customs boats are beautiful but maintance is crazy.
    The fact remains customs are cheap and fast, fitting todays market.
    I wonder if Hatteras kept the quality but removed some of the thrills if they could compete in the sf market of today.
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 06-29-2013 at 09:39 PM.

I think Hatteras made two mistakes. First they went with the Euro design and then they expanded the sportfish line. Backseat management . . . I would have slowed the sportfish program and developed a Euro and a classic MY/LRC line. See which wins. Fleming, Hargrave, Outer Reef, Marlow and those folks jumped right in and took the classic market. And its a pretty big market carrying all those yacht makers. That's what happens when you don't listen to your current clients. I sat with two very wealthy and knowledgeable yachtsman at a LRC rendezvous in New Bern at the Hatteras factory while they tried to influence Hatteras top dudes to make a traditional MY. How many previous Hatt owners have we heard tell them the same thing?
    I drive thru Conestoga PA every once in a while. They of course made covered wagons there for about 100 years. There are no Conestoga cars.
    Skooch
    58 LRC
    Sassafras River MD

History is repeating itself...

This week end I was admiring a beautiful Trumpy named Dune which is docked across the fairway and normally hidden from view by an Horizon.

Gorgeous boat obviously, built as it turned out in 1965 which is right around the time when Hargrave designed the hatteras 50 MY. What a difference in style and layout, not just construction. Sadly as we all now, Trumpy went out of business a few years later.

Why do I gets a feeling that history is repeating itself 50 years later with Hatteras market share in the MY market falling while other brands are taking over with radically different styling.

I hope the new RPH proves this to be wrong.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat