Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Both engines rebuilt

Had to have both 453N's rebuilt in Marathon recently. Left Marathon on the 11th heading north. Stopped in Ft. Myers to take on fuel. Did my figures and did my figures again. Called the mechanic to ask him was it possible to go from 2.2 gal. an hour burn rate per engine to my new figure of .912 gal per hour. He said I told you would see an improvement but I did not think I would cut it in half. Boy was I estatic. Lets hope my next fueling will confirm this.
    Thanks,
    captbuddy

Re: Both engines rebuilt

Something is missing from your consideration, as I also have rebuilt 453N's, with 1300 hours on them, and never did I see such low fuel consumption. My engines are in a 48 LRC. I suppose if you were running them just above idle it would be possible. Basically to get that amount of fuel comsumption from a 453 you would have to be producing about 15 HP per engine.

Pete

I agree. That's why I said I hope the next fueling will confirm it. Only cruise at 1450rpm's and about every three hours I open it wide open and blow it out. Will post my next fueling.
    captbuddy

OK guys & gals. I fuel up again in Carrabelle. I put in 83 gal in the port tank with a small amount coming out my vent. Checked my hours and we had 58.2 hours since we fueled up in Ft. Myers. What is my fuel burn per hour on the port engine? When I fuel up here in Panama City I will give the figures on the starboard engine. That side also runs my gen set. Told the wife, I am going to fuel up just to get the total since we have not run the gen set since we left Carrabelle. Am I wrong in dividing the hours by the gallons burnt? Guys, I made a mistake and used the wrong gallons in my log book. We put 65.5 gallons in the port side and had the 58.2 hours on the engine. Sorry for the mistake.
    captbuddy
    Last edited by captbuddy; 07-01-2013 at 06:40 PM.