Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Re: Float switches - No longer a Rule fan.

Actually, I pretty much moved this particular project to the back burner - I never did order them. After rethinking some more, I decided that, as Genesis and others said, I'd rather have a somewhat less reliable switch that is easy to check than a more reliable one that isn't - at least for now. SInce the boat is less than a 10 minute walk from my house, I'm there a lot and can monitor everything. I may pursue this further over the winter if, for no other reason, than I'm curious about the better switches.

Unhappy Re: Float switches - No longer a Rule fan.

This particular forum is very concerning. As we speak (write) the boat is on the hill. Am having dripless shaft seals installed (I know, another issue). Problem is that on my boat, '88 40DC, things are tight in the bilge and starters have to be removed in order to access everything. Because we are going through a lot of trouble and expense, it makes since to replace the shaft log bilge pumps and hoses. What I'm saying is it's darned near impossible to do so with shaft and starter in the way. I'd really feel bad if I replaced two functional bilge pumps and switches (which could be very old) with something that has a bad reputation for failure.

Bill

I have found the Ultimate switches to be reliable. I also have their bilge alarm system which is self-powered, and loud as hell. They are a small company and have made the same product for quite a while. If I am not mistaken, West Marine apparently tried to rip their product off as well a year or two ago; I don't know if they were successful.

Ok, after all of this discussion, which switch won? I just had my 4 year insurance survey done (as required by my insurance carrier) and he discovered that my main float switch in the aft bilge would not work on auto. Of course that's the one that I seldom test as you have to take the bed apart to get to it. Yes, we now have a new check plan!
    Tom

I keep going back and forth on this issue.

On the one hand, I don’t want junk on my boat.

On the other hand, there is the testing issue. And I just can’t bring myself to spend that kind of money on a float switch, which really should be a no-brainer type devise. At a minimum I would need 4 switches for normal dewatering and another 4 for the high-water pumps. And at $89.00 per switch…

At this point I’m leaning towards using the Rule switches until something better comes along. But in your case Tom, where you have difficulty getting to the switch for testing anyway, the Ultimate switches might be your best choice.

Smile Re: Float switches - No longer a Rule fan.

Boat is still on the hill. We replaced shaft/gear area bilge pumps and switches while access at this time allowed. Old pumps were FROZE UP! Went back with Rule pumps and Ultimate switches thanks to all who replied to this forum. Will now add "TEST PUMPS" to quarterly TO DO LIST.

Capt'n Bill

See the January issue of Powerboat Reports for a test of 17 auto bilge switches. http://www.powerboat-reports.com/index.html