Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Float switches - No longer a Rule fan.

I have never had any problem with or complaint about Rule's non-automatic pumps, only their float switches. I replaced one of Brigadoon's original Rule pumps this season but since it was original - from 1980 - I can't complain. The other 3 original Rule bilge pumps and the shower sump pumps are spinning away happily!

Maybe they are spending their money on their pumps and saving it on their switches!

I am sold!! I am sick of replacing Rule float switches!!

Which one do I order UPS-02, NPS-02, or UPS-04. I have a 53edmy and 32v system.

Dennis
    Morning Star

Wait! I received a call this afternoon just as I was leaving work from the company. The guy was calling me back re my order the day before to tell me there was no such thing as a 32V version. When I told him the website showed a 24/32V, he said "It does?" He then went on to say that his son is the expert and that he would have him call me when he returned. I tried to call them after I got home a few minutes ago but I guess they had closed for the day.

So...I'm not sure at the moment - probably won't know until Monday though I'll try to call them back tomorrow.

All of the pumps are DC right? I would think the switch would still work as long as you did not exceed the power rating(wattage). From my past engineering back ground, p = vi (OHM's LAW), where p = wattage, v=volts and i = current in amps. On a 12 volt pump @ 5 amps, the power draw would be 60 watts, based on the Ultimate web site I believe the simple switches were rated around 15 amps @ 12 volts or 180 watts, so @ 24 volts your limited to 7.5 amps and @ 32 volts just below 5 amps. On those pumps with relays there may be some issues with the voltage . The whole purpose of going to 32 volts is to push more watts with less amps...less wire is required. Pumps are different........they are wound(resistance) to draw so many amps at the designed speed. Increasing the voltage will cause a porportional increase in speed and wattage.

I think with all the problems with their switches from our little forum, Rule should be aware that they are producing junk. I have also had 3 Rule switches fail this summer, one was only a month old.

Boat US would probably be willing to check into this problem. Sadly I suspect that the problem with these switches is caused by the attitude by many many manufacturers of things that "make it as cheap as possible, it's good enough" The only way to get their attention is when someone eventually files a lawsuit because their new switch failed and an expensive boat sunk at the dock.

Walt...

6. Re: Float switches - No longer a Rule fan.

Funny thing is, my old ones are working just fine... some of them appear to be 20 years old!

I guess this would mean I should leave well enough alone so long as they're still working eh?

BTW my problem with the "ultimate" switch is the difficulty in being able to test them. One of the parts of my "preflight list" is lifting all switches and insuring the pumps run... how do you do that with the "ultimates"?

Good point re testing...I read on their site that the switches, or at least some of them, have a test button. I don't know how the test button actually functions so if it simply closes the switch electrically, that won't tell you that the float will actually rise and mechanically activate the switch. If I get ahold of the guys there, I'll ask.

Re the current draw across the switch...it sounds, from JCG's explanation, like there is sufficient capability for the 12V switch to handle the 32V circuit since the Rule pumps that I have in the bilges draw 3.1A @ 32V according to Rule.

8. Re: Float switches - No longer a Rule fan.

It appears that the "ultimate" switches have a two-stage switching action - there is likely a reed relay activated by the float, and a power relay internally. There is no way that a reed relay can carry that sort of current...

This would mean however that they ARE voltage-specific...

I just recieved an email from the ultimate switch guy. He said that the 24/32 switch will work on either 24 or 32, the 12V will NOT work on 24/32. They DO have the 24/32s in stock.

FWIW, S.S. float-switch type level sensors using reed switches are used in the semiconductor industry for hi/low sensing of various flammable and caustic liquids. The systems are robust, but can be very sensitive to voltage spikes, therefore a proper circuit with over voltage protection is required. The typical cost for a sensor, float and control board was about $400.00.