Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Cool Re: Float switches - No longer a Rule fan.

Here is the manufactor site for "Ultimate" / "Ultra" float switches
    http://www.wolfwire.com/tefgel/frameset.htm

Re: Float switches - No longer a Rule fan.

Re Ultimate-

Thanks! I'm ordering 4 of 'em!

I always carry a spare float switch. Have had too many fail over the years. I also check the floats on a regular basis. I think they all have a tendency to fail from time to time.

All- thanks for the posts on this thread! I have two new Rule-Mate "spongeable" (extra dry) pumps about to install. May rethink it and stick with the old Rules or new equivalent, which have lasted lo' these 30+ years and install different float switches.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

One thing I did on every switch on my last boat, a 32' wooden 1965 Chris Seaskiff, was to install a circuit block at each of the four bilge pumps I had on the boat. This made changning out the Rule float switches a breeze. Just crimp on a couple terminal ends, and screw them into place. Of course the reason I did so is because the friggin things failed so often.

I'm going to check out the Ultimates as well. I'm having a problem right now on my 43C with a Rule I installed earlier this year, to replace a completely failed one that I installed last year. It keeps getting stuck in the "ON" position. And I did switch from the std to the special "super" switch. I've come to the conclusion that Rule makes crap. Perhaps if their sales drop sufficiently, they'll figure it out and either improve their product, or simply get out of the bilge pump business.

I couldn't agree more with all of the posts, I have had the same expercience many times over. Maybe this is a good topic for Boat US to tackle. We should send the responses to this thread to the president of Boat US. They have a vested interest in making sure such a key product is working as intended. It would be interesting to see how Rule responds to product liability questions from the insurance industry. Any comments?

Sounds like a good idea. In my opinion, Rule is now just producing another short-lived junk product from the "make something as cheaply as possible instead of as good as you can" school. The solution is to buy good stuff from someone else. Unfortunately, just like cheap tools versus good tools, the good stuff costs more - sometimes a LOT more.

85 bucks for a float switch is a lot of money for the product but the three Rules I replaced, all of them within months of install, and two of them being "Super" switches, would have just about covered the price of one good switch and I wouldn't have had to replace the Rules. Fortunately for me, I don't charge myself labor!

Ultimate's website: What a great way to mount your pump switch...just a big hose clamp around the bilge pump. I really like that.

Doug

i've been using the basic rule switches for years with very few problems...i check them regularly, it's been a while since i've had to replace one. I carry a spare on board just in case...

not sure i want to reinvent the wheel and spend 4 times more for somethign more complicated!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Since installing a Rule 2000 pump two and a half years ago in the forward cabin of my 34C, I had to replace the pump and switch once. The pump was covered by the warranty. No problems since then.