Went down to Brigadoon this afternoon and while I was in the port engine room, I heard the bilge pump activate. That was odd because there was no water in the bilge and yet the pump was running although it didn't sound like it was running at full speed. I lifted the float and the pump ran at normal speed. I let it fall and it slowed down to maybe 1/4 speed and then, over a minute or so, gradually slowed and stopped. A few minutes later, it came on again at 1/4 speed, ran for about 20 seconds, and stopped.

Obviously the float switch - a new Rule Super Switch that I had installed with the new bilge pump about 2 months ago - was leaking current for some reason. I ripped the switch out and put in regular Rule switch which corrected the problem (for now).

This is the 3rd new Rule float switch that I have had fail over the past 2 years in two different boats within a few months of installation. Seems odd to me - float switches are pretty basic technology and I'm wondering what the heck's going on. I mean, how can you screw up making a float switch? I used to think of Rule as pretty good stuff but I am now beginning to wonder. This is not one of those items that you can afford for it not to work properly...

Anybody like some other brand of switches better?